Department: Visual and Performing Arts
CIP Code: 50.0408
MCC Program Code: ID01
NYSED Code (BRI): 92159
The Interior Design program combines a study of the creative process with the practical requirements of materials, space planning, and building codes. Emphasis is placed upon using a variety of tools, including drawings and computer processes, to explore and communicate the solutions to design problems. Projects addressing both residential and commercial needs are incorporated into the program to provide a broad understanding of the field of interior design.
Admission and continuation in the interior design program is conditional upon completion of the following requirements:
A) A grade of C or better in High School Geometry or Math A exam.
B) Completion of required ESOL or Transitional Studies courses.
In addition, an understanding of the use of computers is expected. Those students who do not have such knowledge are encouraged to complete AAD 104 - Intro to Graphic Design, 2D prior to enrolling in IDE160- CAD for Interiors.
(Housed in Visual and Performing Arts Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Explain the contributions and requirements of the practice of
design in contemporary society.
2) Identify the social political and physical influences affecting historical changes in design of the built environment.
3) Read and interpret construction drawings and documents.
4) Incorporate the elements and principles of design and color theory into design decisions.
5) Apply a broad range of materials and products that include
consideration of sustainability
6) Produce competent presentation materials and apply both oral and visual material to the presentation of ideas.
7) Design solutions that consider structural and mechanical systems vertical circulation systems and methods of construction.
8) Develop design solutions in a collaborative environment.
For related jobs: careercoach.monroecc.edu
Occupational Resource: http://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra (one-year high school math or placement into Level 4 Math at MCC).