The Mechanical Technology Program introduces the student to the principles, materials, and equipment of mechanical technology. Emphasis is placed on drafting, design, and an understanding of basic machine components.
Graduates of the program find employment as drafter, engineering assistants, technicians, and technical salespersons.
(Housed in the Engineering Technologies Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Sketch design ideas and concepts by hand using proper scaling and perspective
2) Generate complete and fully dimensioned orthographic projection drawings to proper standards (i.e. ASME Y14.5, ISO)
3) Create solid model CAD files with the requisite design intent built-in
4) Use measurement tools to inspect and record dimensions of parts
5) Analyze data to objectively make technical decisions using basic statistical analysis
6) Apply fundamental technical calculations required to determine forces and stresses within mechanical systems
7) Apply knowledge of material properties and manufacturing processes to appropriate decision-making
8) Use industry standard computer applications (MS Excel, MathCAD, SolidWorks, etc.) for design, analysis or technical decision making
9) Discuss knowledgeably subject matter related to technical fields other than Mechanical Tech
10) Communicate effectively in various modes
11) Demonstrate a professional attitude, which includes such behaviors as punctuality, attendance, reliability, neatness and organization
For related jobs: Career Coach
Occupational Resource: http://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
Intermediate Algebra with Trigonometry (or Math 104 at MCC).
* Students not proficient in algebra or trigonometry should take MTH 135 preferably in Summer Session prior to starting Mechanical Technology. Students with excellent high school math records may wish to select a more advanced math program following consultation with the Mathematics Department.
** Technical Elective: Any course in CIT, ELT, MET, OPT or ENR 153, ENR 157, ENR 161, ENR 259 or see department chairperson for a substitution waiver.
Printer Friendly Version