A.A.S. Degree - Career Program
Department: Public Safety Training Center
School: Community Engagement & Development
CIP Code: 51.0904
MCC Program Code: EM01
NYSED Code (BRI): 21706
This two-year associate in applied science degree program is intended for students interested in preparing for a career at the highest level of emergency medical services care - the paramedic.
Admission requirements for the program include current New York State Emergency Medical Technician Certification (available through successful completion of EMS 110). The certification sequence begins each January. Candidates for the program are reviewed beginning each September.
The program includes a very structured New York State Paramedic Certification sequence which includes classroom, hospital clinical hours, and field internships. Upon completion of the sequence, graduates will be eligible to sit for the New York State Health Department certification examination as EMT - Paramedic. Students wishing to obtain certification may also apply for the Paramedic Certificate program.
The MCC Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Professions (www.caahep.org) and authorized by the New York State Department of Health.
Students interested in the degree should contact the EMS Program staff at 753-3710 to discuss the requirements for admission to the program.
(Housed in PSTF)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Perform a comprehensive patient assessment
2) Deliver medications according to protocols
3) Deliver life-saving interventions according to protocols
4) Manage patient care while providing safe transportation to appropriate medical facilities
5) Communicate effectively with a variety of audiences which could include: patients families/friends or other public safety and medical professionals
6) Apply knowledge acquired from the program's general education requirements in a variety of non-clinical roles such as management education etc.
For related jobs: Career Coach
Occupational Resource: http://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
Elementary Algebra with Geometry (or Math 098 at MCC). EMT Certification. Competitive admission - please contact the EMS Department at 585-753-3712 regarding current admissions criteria.
* SPC 144 or SPA 141 are recommended.
** HED 115 or PEC 253 are recommended.
Printer Friendly Version