SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Effectively implemented communications programs surrounding sensitive issues, including layoffs, racial tensions, leadership shifts, professional misconduct, and student death.
- Contributed to the development and implementation of college’s new branding program.
- Implemented communications program that supported successful $9 million capital campaign.
- Led a team of volunteers in planning and implementing events surrounding one college’s centennial and another college’s presidential inauguration.
- Successfully rebuilt College and Community Relations team following the consecutive retirement and resignation of two-thirds of the professional staff.
Assistant to the President, College, Community and Government Relations, September 2007 - Present
Director of Public Affairs, Monroe Community College, October 1994 - August 2007
- Plan and execute a communications program for a comprehensive college with 36,000 students and an operating budget of over $90 million.
- Manage a $430,000 annual public affairs budget, lead a four-member public affairs team, and direct contracts with free-lance designers and writers.
- Serve as college spokesperson and chief communications strategist in crisis situations.
- Manage internal communication, media relations, publications, and government relations.
- Lead World Wide Web strategic team.
Director of Public Relations, Keuka College, Keuka Park, NY, July 1988 - September 1994
- Planned and executed a communications program for a liberal arts college with 900 students.
- Managed the public relations budget and supervised two communications professionals, one mailing paraprofessional and a team of student aides.
- Served as college spokesperson and chief communications strategist in crisis situations, including issues related to student alcohol use and race relations.
- Managed internal communication, media relations, publications, graphic design and mailing services.
Director of Public Relations, North Penn Comprehensive Health Services, Blossburg, PA, November 1987 - June 1988
Corning Bureau Chief, Star-Gazette, Elmira, NY, June 1986 - November 1987
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
“Creating an E-newsletter,” presenter, National Council for Marketing and Public Relations, Regional Conference (Boston), November 2003; State University of New York/Council for University Affairs and Development Educational Conference, June 2004.
“Small Shop Strategies for Big-Time Media Results,” panelist, State University of New York/Council for University Affairs and Development Educational Conference, June 2004.
News Writing and Messaging, roundtable discussion leader, State University of New York/Council for University Affairs and Development Educational Conference, June 2003.
“Branding Monroe Community College,” co-presenter, National Council for Marketing and Public Relations, Regional Conference, October 1999, and National Conference, March 2002; Strategic Enrollment Management Regional Conference, November 2001.
“Image Management,” panelist, State University of New York/Council for University Affairs and Development, June 1997
Brighton Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors, 2002-2005
St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center, Rochester
- Board of Directors, 2001-Present
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Rochester Chapter
- Board of Directors, 2001-2003
United Way Campaign at Monroe Community College
Penn Yan Area Chamber of Commerce
- Executive Committee, 1992 – 1994
- Board of Directors, 1988 – 1994
Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), District II
- Board of Directors, 2004-Present
State University of New York/Council for University Affairs and Development (SUNY/CUAD)
- Past President, 2003-Present
- President, 2001– 2003
- Vice President, 1999 – 2001
- Board of Directors, 1997 – Present
- Chair, Awards for Excellence Program, 2000, 2001
- Co-chair, Public Relations Track, Educational Conference, 1998
Public Relations Society of America, Rochester Chapter
- Board of Directors, 1998 – 2002
- Membership Chair, 2000 – 2002
- Conference Co-chair, 1999
Women in Communications, Inc., Rochester Chapter
- Board of Directors, 1992 – 1994
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Best of Category, Media Relations, Media Launch of MCC’s New Residence Halls, SUNY/CUAD, June 2004.
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service, May 2004.
- Best of Category, Excellence in News Writing, Focusing MCC Press Releases on Message, SUNY/CUAD, June 2003.
- “40 Under 40,” named one of 40 Rochester leaders under the age of 40 by the Rochester Business Journal, October 2001
- Judges’ Citation, Community Relations Category, Presidential Inauguration, SUNY/CUAD, June 2001
- Best of Category, Community Relations Category, Introducing MCC Branding Program Internally, SUNY/CUAD, June 2000
- Silver Medallion, Class Schedule, National Council for Marketing and Public Relations, District I, October 1999
- CASE 1993 Circle of Excellence, member of advancement team recognized for growth and strength in fund-raising program
- 1989 Director of the Year, Penn Yan Area Chamber of Commerce
- National Institute for Leadership Development, 2003-2004
- M.P.A., State University College at Brockport, 2002
- B.A., Journalism/Communications, Juniata College, 1986
- Language Proficiency Degree, International Institute of French Studies, 1985