Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to MCC?
You can apply online (click on “Apply Now”) or print out a paper application to send:
You can also apply in person at either the Admissions Office at the Brighton Campus or at the Damon City Campus. 
Where do I mail my transcripts?
Transcripts can be mailed to: 
Admissions Office
Monroe Community College
PO Box 92808
Rochester, NY  14692-8908

Do I need to submit an SAT or ACT score as part of the application process?
MCC does not require SAT or ACT test scores.  However, if you have taken them, you may submit them to aid in review for placement testing.

Do I need to take the placement test?
A majority of students do need to take the placement exam which will help us to determine what level English and Math a student is at (along with their academic transcript(s)).  After you have applied and we have looked over your transcripts, we will send you information that will let you know whether you have to take the placement exam. 

Where do I go to take the placement exam?
You can take the placement exam at either the Brighton or the Damon City Campus.  Off campus testing is also acceptable with prior approval.  Placement testing information can be accessed through the following site:

Will MCC accept college credits from other colleges or universities?
If college credits have been successfully completed with a “C” or higher in a course that is required for your intended degree program and the course had been taken from a regionally accredited college or university, those credits can be transferred.  Transfer credit evaluations will be done on a course-by-course basis by the Admissions Office. In order for students to earn a degree at MCC, at least 24 credits must be completed in residency.

Will MCC accept college credit earned while in high school?
Yes, if college credits have been successfully completed with a “C” or higher in a course that is required for your intended degree program and the course had been taken from a regionally accredited college or university, those credits can be transferred.

Can I be admitted into MCC if I did not graduate from high school or do not have a GED?
Due to Federal regulations that began July 1, 2012, MCC can no longer admit non-high school graduates as matriculated students.
As a non-high school graduate, your options are to complete high school, earn your GED, or attend as a non-matriculated student. Non-matriculated students are limited to 11 credits, can not graduate with a degree or certificate and are not eligible for financial aid.

What is a matriculated student?
A matriculated student is one who has formally applied and has been accepted into a degree or certificate program. ONLY matriculated students may be eligible to receive financial aid, attend full-time, or be awarded a certificate or degree.

What is the difference between full-time and part-time study?
The difference between full-time and part-time study is determined by the number of credits a student takes in any given semester. Full-time students are enrolled in 12 credits or more; part-time students are enrolled in fewer than 12 credits.

How do I apply for financial aid?
Here is a link where you can access a step by step guide for applying for financial aid (click on “Applying for Financial Aid”):

How much does it cost to attend MCC?
Here is a link to give you the most current information on tuition and fees (click on “Tuition and Fees”):

Does MCC have scholarships? 
Yes, MCC does have scholarships. You can be able to see a listing of them by going to the following link (Click on “Types of Aid,” then “Scholarships” from the drop-down box):

I am interested in a 2+2.  What is it?
A 2+2 here at MCC is a dual admissions program designed for students who know what college they want to transfer into and what major they want to study.  It is a formal agreement between MCC and the four year school where if you get accepted into a 2+2, you are accepted into MCC and the four year school.  In a majority of cases, there wouldn’t be a separate application to the four year school.  To be accepted into a 2+2, we look for a student to have a minimum high school GPA of 85, limited college credits, that he or she will attend MCC full-time and can be admitted into the base MCC degree.   

Will MCC course credits transfer to four-year colleges and universities?
The academic credits you earn at MCC that are at college level can transfer to virtually any college or university in the United States.  It is always up to the school you are transferring to as far as what credits will transfer into their particular programs.  With prior planning, there is no reason your credits would not transfer.

I am interested in the Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Dental Hygiene and/or the Dental Assisting program.  What are the admissions requirements?
For admissions requirements (including deadlines) for these high-demand, health-related programs visit:
There are Admissions Information Sessions for these programs as well; you can sign up to attend one of them by calling the Admissions Office at 585-292-2200.

What other steps (after being admitted to MCC) do I need to complete to become an enrolled student? 
After being admitted into MCC, you will receive a “Next Steps” sheet in the mail along with your official acceptance certificate.  This will list some upcoming next steps that could include placement testing, getting your immunizations to Health Services, applying for or checking in on the status of your financial aid, attending orientation, registering for class, checking into your payment options and/or applying for a room in one of our residence halls.

How many credits should I take?
For each credit you take, you should plan on studying a minimum of 2 hours per week. The number of credits you take should equal the time commitment you will be able to set aside towards your studies. For example:

6 credits
6 hours in class/week x 2
12 hours studying/week
18 hour commitment/week

15 credits
15 hours in class/week x 2
30 hours studying/week
45 hour commitment/week

What if I am uncertain regarding my program choice?
You can apply for the undeclared option at MCC.  Here is more information on the program:

What is the difference between an A.S./A.A. and an A.A.S. degree?
A.S./A.A. degrees are designed to prepare a student for transfer to a 4-year institution to pursue their bachelor's degree. A.A.S. degrees are "career" programs which prepare students for employment. A.A.S. graduates sometimes pursue a bachelor's degree but should seek advisement if transfer is their goal.

Are there campus tours?
Yes! Tours of the Brighton Campus, the Damon City Campus and the Applied Technologies Center are given regularly. For tour information, visit the Campus Tours page.

Where and when can I register for courses?
You will be register with your department or with Counseling & Advisement, depending on your program.  For advisement and registration information, visit the following link (information will be updated as it becomes available): 

What services are available for students with learning and/or physical disabilities?
MCC’s Services for Student with Disabilities Office offers support services.  Here is a link to start the process:

What housing options are available for MCC students?
MCC does offer rooms in our residence halls; they are on a first-come, first-served basis based on when you apply.  You need to be admitted into the school before you apply for housing on-campus.  The application goes live on the MCC website in mid-March for the Fall/September semester.  Here is a link to Residence Life and Housing (there is also a guide to off-campus housing on this link):

What sports teams does MCC have?
The sports teams that MCC has are listed on the following link:
Intramural sports are also available!

Is there a child care center at MCC?
Yes, there is a child care center located on campus.  Here is a link on that:

Can I just attend a course or two in the summer?
Yes, you can attend a course or two in the summer as a non-matriculated student.  For more information about registration and course offerings, visit  You do not need to complete an admissions application unless you are planning to be a matriculated student for the Fall semester. 

How do I make an appointment to meet with an Admissions Counselor?
You can make an appointment to meet with an Admissions Counselor by calling the Admissions Office at (585) 292-2200.