AnyConnect is Virtual Private Network (VPN) software. A VPN connection is required to securely connect to services at Monroe Community College from off campus, such as remote access to your office desktop or access to the M Drive.
- You must be located off campus and first establish a connection to the Internet through your Internet Service Provider (ISP), such as Time Warner or Verizon, in order to use AnyConnect
- You must use Windows 10, 8.1, 8 or 7, or you must use MacOS 10.3 or later.
- You can run AnyConnect from a foreign country, but only if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is not running a proxy server.
- You must be the administrator of your computer/laptop.
Step 1: Download AnyConnect
Note: This software can be downloaded multiple times and does not limit the number of installations.
- Right click the file link below and select “Save As”.
Be sure to note where the file is saved for step 2.
- Open the folder where the AnyConnect zip file has been saved to.
Right Click the file and select “Extract All”
- Locate and open the file “Setup.exe” in the extracted files folder to begin the installation process.
Step 2: Install AnyConnect
You must be an administrator on your laptop or computer to install this software.
- Double click on the AnyConnect software icon. (If using Windows 8/8.1, from the Start screen, tap or click the Desktop tile, then tap or click the Libraries icon in the Navigation pane. Tap or click Downloads, then double-click on the AnyConnect software icon.)
- Click on Next on the Welcome screen.
- Click on the bubble beside I accept the terms in the License Agreement.
- Click Next on the End-User License Agreement screen.
- Click Install on the Ready to Install screen.
- Depending on your computer’s security level you may be prompted by Windows to allow the AnyConnect client to change your PC. Accept the prompt to continue.
- Click Finish to complete the installation.
Step 3: Connect with AnyConnect
You must first be connected to the Internet using an Internet Service Provider (ISP) such as Spectrum/Time Warner, Frontier, or Verizon. Each time you want to access Monroe Community College services from off campus, connnect to myVPN with AnyConnect.
- Open your AnyConnect Software:
- Mac OS X: Select Finder > Applications> Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect.
- Windows 7/Vista/Ubuntu Linux: Double-click the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility software icon.
- Windows 8.1/8:
- Swipe or mouse to the top corner of the right side of your device display. The Charms Bar will appear.
- Click the Search Charm.
- Swipe to the left or press Esc to close the Charms Bar.
- Click or tap on the AnyConnect Secure Mobility software app.
- Windows 10: Click in the search box and enter AnyConnect Secure Mobility.
- Enter myvpn.monroecc.edu and click Connect.
- Enter your myMCC username and password in the Username and Password (Passcode on Mac) fields.
Step 4: Connect to your PC or the M drive
Remote Desktop: Once you are connected you can access your desktop PC using Windows Remote Desktop.
To start remote desktop:
- Open the Start Menu > Search > enter mstsc.exe: Double click the mstsc.exe icon.
- Remote Desktop Box enter the decal number of your office desktop: Click Connect
- Enter your myMCC username and password in the Username and Password box.
Mac users will need to download a Remote Desktop App to connect to their office machine.
Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0 is available from the iTunes store on apple.com.
Connecting to the M Drive with Windows : If you do not have a dedicated desktop PC at MCC you can still connect to the M Drive using the M Drive connector.
- Please download and install the M: drive connector tool at this link: http://www.monroecc.edu/fileadmin/SiteFiles/GeneralContent/depts/cns/hosted/mdc_installer.msi
- The link may bring you to a page that says, "Warning Reason: Windows Installer (msi)." Click the "Proceed" button. This will download "mdc_ installer.msi." Run the program.
- The M:\ Drive Connection Assistant window will appear. Enter your credentials just like you did on Cisco AnyConnect. Make sure the username is correct as it will change the username to whoever is logged into the computer
- Click “Connect to M Drive”, if a box shows up that states, "Completed Successfully" continue to number 6.
- If you get a pop-up that reads, "The M Drive is already mapped. If you would like to remap it, please disconnect the drive first", click OK and then click "Disconnect M Drive" and then click "Connect to M Drive".
- Open up Computer (on Windows 7) or This PC (on Windows 8.1 and 10). On Windows 7 this can be found by opening the start menu and clicking “Computer”. On Windows 10 click on the start menu and then click File Explore and select “This PC” along the left side of the window.
- Under Network locations at the bottom you will see the M-Drive that you have just mapped.