Frequently Asked Questions

Am I automatically enrolled for college credit if I'm in a high school Dual Enrollment class?

In order to be eligible to receive MCC credit for your high school class, you must officially register with MCC online during the open registration period. If the MCC course has a pre-requisite requirement, you must also show proof of meeting the pre-requisite.

Back to top

How many Dual Enrollment classes can I register for at one time?

Dual Enrollment students can register for a maximum of 11 credits per semester. This is about three classes. These classes must also be part of your high school schedule in order to receive the reduced tuition rate. The 11 credit hour max includes courses taken at high school and BOCES locations. Your counselor and teachers can consult with the Dual Enrollment Coordinator to help you pick the classes that fit best with your college and career plans.

Back to top

Can I register for other MCC classes as well as those offered in my high school?

Dual Enrollment students can register for a maximum of 11 credit hours per semester. That maximum includes all MCC courses including those taken at your high school, BOCES, on an MCC campus, and online. However, only the classes at your high school and those at BOCES which are part of your high school schedule are offered at the decreased tuition rate.

Back to top

How do I find out if a course is Dual Enrollment?

If a course is Dual Enrollment, the high school teacher will provide information to you. You can also talk to your high school counselor to plan a schedule that includes Dual Enrollment classes.

Back to top

How and when do I register for a Dual Enrollment course?

Registration for MCC Dual Enrollment courses takes place online through The process is simple and easy to navigate. Choose your high school from the list. Then choose the class(es) you are taking at your high school for which you wish to earn both high school and college credit. You must be seated in the high school section in order to register for the Dual Enrollment option. Once the registration deadline has passed, MCC cannot accept any additional registrations.

Dual Enrollment students can register for a maximum of 11 credit hours per semester. However, that maximum includes all MCC courses, including those taken at an MCC campus, extension site, at your high school or online.

It is a good idea to talk with your parent/guardian, teacher or counselor to determine if taking a Dual Enrollment class is right for you. The grade you earn will become part of your permanent college transcript at MCC.

Back to top

Can I register late? What if the registration deadline has passed?

No students may be registered for Dual Enrollment once registration has closed. This Enrollment Closure policy is to prevent late and retroactive registration, a practice that permits students to choose whether to register for college credit late depending upon his/her performance in class, prior knowledge, or any other situation that prevented timely registration.

Back to top



What area school districts and BOCES participate in the MCC Dual Enrollment Program?

This academic year (2017-18) MCC is proud to display the following list of Dual Enrollment partners.

  • Aquinas Institute
  • Brighton High School
  • Brockport High School
  • Churchville-Chili High School
  • East Rochester High School
  • Eastridge High School
  • Fairport High School
  • Fairport (Minerva DeLand)
  • Gananda (Ruben A. Cirillo High School)
  • Gates-Chili High School
  • Genesee Valley Educational Partnership BOCES
  • Greece Central High Schools: Arcadia, Athena, Odyssey and Olympia
  • Hilton High School
  • Honeoye Falls-Lima High School
  • Irondequoit High School
  • James A. Beneway High School (Wayne Central School District)
  • Midlakes High School (Phelps-Clifton Springs district)
  • Monroe #1 BOCES (Fairport)
  • Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES (Spencerport)
  • Orleans-Niagara BOCES
  • Our Lady of Mercy High School
  • Palmyra-Macedon High School
  • Pembroke High School
  • Penfield High School
  • Pittsford Central High Schools: Mendon and Sutherland
  • P-TECH
  • Rochester Academy Charter School
  • Rochester City School District High Schools: East, Early College International High School, Monroe, Wilson, World of Inquiry School, Pathways to Public Safety program
  • Rush-Henrietta High School
  • Spencerport High School
  • Vertus School
  • Wayne-Finger Lakes BOCES (Stanley and Williamson)
  • Webster Central High Schools: Schroeder and Thomas
  • Wheatland-Chili High School

Back to top

How and when do I pay for a Dual Enrollment course?

You will be informed of the amount of tuition due in the last step of online registration. An official tuition bill will be sent from the MCC Student Accounts Office in mid-October for fall courses and early-March for Spring courses. Tuition must be paid by the bill due date.

All students had the opportunity to apply for a scholarship during their registration session. When registration closes, we begin reviewing students for scholarships. Please review the scholarship information on the Dual Enrollment homepage for specifics regarding our scholarships.

After scholarships are awarded, MCC will mail a bill to the student home address. Review your bill carefully, if you have been awarded a scholarship it will be reflected in the "total amount due" to MCC. Payment in full is due by the date indicated on the bill. If payment is not received by the date noted on your bill, the student will be dropped or de-registered from the MCC course. Students may remain enrolled in the high school class, but will not receive college credit from MCC.


Back to top

What if I change my mind, can I get a refund?

There are no tuition refunds should you change your mind and decide not to take the course for MCC credit.

Back to top

If I take a Dual Enrollment course, will the MCC credits transfer to other colleges? How does that happen?

Most colleges accept MCC credit. You will need to request an official academic transcript from MCC and provide it for the other college. However, you must achieve a grade of C or better (some colleges may require a minimum grade of B) in the course. It is a good idea to check with the college you plan to attend as each institution sets its own policy regarding the acceptance of transfer credit. Your MCC college credit may be applied toward your chosen degree, as an elective, as a substitute for a required course, or make you eligible to take a higher level course.

For more information, contact the Dual Enrollment Office at MCC at 585.292.2135.

Back to top

What if I want to withdraw from a course?

If you think you’re likely to earn a final grade of D or F, you should strongly consider officially withdrawing from the course. This will result in a grade of "W" instead of having a failing grade on your MCC transcript. Simply tell your teacher that you want to withdraw. You may remain in the high school course even if you withdraw from MCC.

The Dual Enrollment Class withdrawal deadlines for 2017-2018 are as follows:

  • For courses that run Sept - Jan (Fall 2017) - January 5, 2018
  • For courses that run Sept - June (Full Year) - April 12, 2018
  • For courses that run Jan - June (Spring 2017) - May 24, 2018



Back to top

How will I be graded? When will I receive my grades? How do I request a transcript?

Your MCC grade will be calculated according to the standard set by MCC. This standard is shared with your high school teacher. Your high school grade may be different if your teacher calculates the grade differently. For grading questions, talk to your high school teacher.

When the course ends you will be able to log into your MCC account and view your grades online. You can also request a free official transcript of grades by logging into your MCC account. Account activation instructions are mailed to the student's home address about a week after they complete Dual Enrollment registration. MCC no longer sends a grade report in the mail.

Back to top

Who do I contact with other questions?

For answers to your specific questions, to your high school. Your high school Principal, teacher, or counselor will be able to answer questions regarding registration, grades, and requirements. If they dont know the answer they will contact MCC to find answers to your questions. Or you can contact us.

Back to top

Contact Information

Brighton Campus
Building 5, 322

M-F 8:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
(585) 292-2135


Registration for Spring 2018 is February 5 - February 26, 2018.

Dual Enrollment Registration

Upcoming Important Dates

  • Dual Enrollment scholarships are available! Talk to your teacher or counselor for more information.
  • February 5, 2018, Dual enrollment registration opens. Students must register by February 26, 2018.
  • Here are your important deadlines for the remainder of the school year.