Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I automatically enrolled for college credit if I'm in a high school Dual Enrollment class?

In order to be eligible to receive MCC credit for your high school class, you must officially register with MCC online during the open registration period. If the MCC course has a prerequisite requirement, you must also show proof of meeting this prerequisite.

Top of Page

How many Dual Enrollment classes can I register for at one time?

Dual Enrollment students can register for a maximum of 11 credits per semester. This is about three classes. These classes must also be part of your high school schedule in order to receive the reduced tuition rate. The 11 credit hour max includes courses taken at high school and BOCES locations. Your counselor and teachers can consult with the Dual Enrollment Coordinator to help you pick the classes that fit best with your college and career plans.

Top of Page

Can I register for other MCC classes as well as those offered in my high school?

Dual Enrollment students can register for a maximum of 11 credit hours per semester. That maximum includes all MCC courses including those taken at your high school, BOCES, on an MCC campus, and online. However, only the classes at your high school and those at BOCES which are part of your high school schedule are offered at the decreased tuition rate.

How do I find out if a course is Dual Enrollment?

If a course is Dual Enrollment, the high school teacher will provide information to you. You can also talk to your high school counselor to plan a schedule that includes Dual Enrollment classes.

Top of Page

How and when do I register for a Dual Enrollment course?

Registration for MCC Dual Enrollment courses takes place online through The process is simple and easy to navigate. Choose your high school from the list.Then choose the class(es) you are taking at your high school for which you wish to earn both high school and college credit. You must be seated in the high school section in order to register for the Dual Enrollment option. Once the registration deadline has passed, MCC cannot accept any additional registrations.

Dual Enrollment students can register for a maximum of 11 credit hours per semester. However, that maximum includes all MCC courses, including those taken at an MCC campus, extension site, at your high school or online.

It is a good idea to talk with your parent/guardian, teacher or counselor to determine if taking a Dual Enrollment class is right for you. The grade you earn will become part of your permanent college transcript at MCC.

Top of Page

Can I register late? What if the registration deadline has passed?

No students may be registered for Dual Enrollment once registration has closed. This Enrollment Closure policy is to prevent late and retroactive registration, a practice that permits students to choose whether to register for college credit late depending upon his/her performance in class, prior knowledge, or any other situation that prevented timely registration.

Top of Page

What area school districts and BOCES participate in the MCC Dual Enrollment Program?

This academic year (2017-18) MCC is proud to display the following list of Dual Enrollment partners.

  • Aquinas Institute
  • Brighton High School
  • Brockport High School
  • Churchville-Chili High School
  • East Rochester High School
  • Eastridge High School
  • Fairport High School
  • Fairport (Minerva DeLand)
  • Gananda (Ruben A. Cirillo High School)
  • Gates-Chili High School
  • Genesee Valley Educational Partnership BOCES
  • Greece Central High Schools: Arcadia, Athena, Odyssey and Olympia
  • Hilton High School
  • Honeoye Falls-Lima High School
  • Irondequoit High School
  • James A. Beneway High School (Wayne Central School District)
  • Midlakes High School (Phelps-Clifton Springs district)
  • Monroe #1 BOCES (Fairport)
  • Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES (Spencerport)
  • Orleans-Niagara BOCES
  • Our Lady of Mercy High School
  • Palmyra-Macedon High School
  • Pembroke High School
  • Penfield High School
  • Pittsford Central High Schools: Mendon and Sutherland
  • P-TECH
  • Rochester Academy Charter School
  • Rochester City School District High Schools: East, Early College International High School, Monroe, Wilson, World of Inquiry School, Pathways to Public Safety program
  • Rush-Henrietta High School
  • Spencerport High School
  • Vertus School
  • Wayne-Finger Lakes BOCES (Stanley and Williamson)
  • Webster Central High Schools: Schroeder and Thomas
  • Wheatland-Chili High School

Top of Page

If I take a Dual Enrollment course, will the MCC credits transfer to other colleges? How does that happen?

Most colleges accept MCC credit. You will need to request an official academic transcript from MCC and provide it for the other college. However, you must achieve a grade of C or better (some colleges may require a minimum grade of B) in the course. It is a good idea to check with the college you plan to attend as each institution sets its own policy regarding the acceptance of transfer credit. Your MCC college credit may be applied toward your chosen degree, as an elective, as a substitute for a required course, or make you eligible to take a higher level course.

For more information, contact the Dual Enrollment Office at MCC at 585-292-2135.

Top of Page

What if I want to withdraw from a course?

If you think you’re likely to earn a final grade of D or F, you should strongly consider officially withdrawing from the course. This will result in a grade of "W" instead of having a failing grade on your MCC transcript. Simply tell your teacher that you want to withdraw. You may remain in the high school course even if you withdraw from MCC.

Please refer to our Dual Enrollment Deadlines for Dual Enrollment Class withdrawal deadlines.

Top of Page

How will I be graded?

Your MCC grade will be calculated according to the standard set by MCC. This standard is shared with your high school teacher. Your high school grade may be different if your teacher calculates the grade differently. For grading questions, talk to your high school teacher.

When the course ends you will be able to log into your MCC account and view your grades online. You can also request a free official transcript of grades by logging into your MCC account. Account activation instructions are mailed to the student's home address about a week after they complete Dual Enrollment registration. MCC no longer sends a grade report in the mail.

Top of Page

Who do I contact with other questions?

For answers to your specific questions, to your high school. Your high school Principal, teacher, or counselor will be able to answer questions regarding registration, grades, and requirements, or you can contact us.

Top of Page