Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid

Can I get financial aid during the summer?

Yes, you can. But throughout your college career, you can only get financial aid for a limited number of semesters. Sometimes it is better to use the allotted aid for the fall or spring semesters, especially if you plan to transfer. Please see an advisor about your situation.

Can I get financial aid as a part-time student?

Yes, you can but there’s another form to fill out. If you are a part-time student you can get PELL but not TAP unless you fill out an APTS (Aid for Part Time Study) form. The APTS form has a deadline every semester so be sure to apply by the deadline to get your maximum financial aid.

How do I know if I am eligible for financial aid?

Your eligibility is determined when you apply. The best way to know is to apply!

What’s the difference between Pell and TAP?

Pell and TAP are both grant money that you don’t need to pay back. Pell is grant money from the Federal government and TAP is a grant from New York State. Because the money comes from different legislative bodies, there are different rules for each form of aid. There may be a time when you are eligible for Pell but not for TAP. That’s because they have different rules associated with each form of aid.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Go online to Make sure you have your last year’s taxes and your PIN number when you go online. You’ll need both. If you run into trouble, MCC offers financial aid workshops. You can check the schedule on MCC’s financial aid web page.

What if I’m not eligible for financial aid?

You will be eligible for some form of financial aid. No matter how rich you are, you can get some kind of loan. However, the loan may not cover the entire cost of your education and it may be unsubsidized. REMEMBER; loans are also considered financial aid because the interest rate on student loans is normally comparatively low.

What’s the difference between a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan?

A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. If you qualify for a subsidized loan, the federal government pays interest on the loan until you begin repayment. An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need. If you qualify for an unsubsidized loan, you will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. You can choose to pay the interest or allow it to accumulate. If you allow the interest to accumulate, it will be capitalized--that is, the interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan and will increase the amount you have to repay. If you pay the interest as it accumulates, you will repay less in the long run.

How much money should I take out in loans?

As little as possible. Remember, every bit of money you take out must be repaid with interest. Remember also that you can take out less than the amount you’re offered. If you’re offered $7000 in loans but you only need $1000, you can take only $1000 out in loan money. This decreases the amount you have to pay back and therefore, the payments.

Click here to find out about Financial Aid


What if I want to transfer?

We have a transfer advisor who will work with you to choose classes best suited for your major and the college to which you will transfer. If you're having trouble picking a major or a college, they can assist you with those choices as well.

How do I change my major?

To do that at the Brighton Campus, you go to the Counseling and Advising Center. If you are at the Damon City Campus, you will go to Student Services. When you arrive, you will see an Advisor and they will go over your schedule with you and make sure you have all of the prerequisites necessary for the major of your choice. If you do, they will admit you and if not, they’ll tell you what you need to complete before getting into that major. Exceptions are programs in Health Professions, for example, Nursing, Radiologic Technology and Dental Hygiene. Those departments do their own admissions.

How do I calculate my GPA?

To do this, you’ll need this chart:

Grade Interpretation Numerical Value # of Grade
A (Excellent) 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B (Above Average) 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C (Average) 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- (Minimum Passing Grade) 0.7
F 0


What you’ll do is for each class that you take, multiply the number of credits of the class by the numerical value of the grade you received in the class from the chart above. Then add the numerical values of the classes for that semester together and divide by the total number of credits you took that semester. For example:

  Credits Grade    
ENG 101 3 F 0 (3 x 0.0) = 0.0
GEO 101 4 C- 1.7 (4 x 1.7) = 6.8
HIS 103 3 B 3 (3 x 3.0) = 9.0
MAT 170 3 D+ 1.3 (3 x 1.3) = 3.9
PE 101 2 A 4 (2 x 4.0) = 8.0
TOTAL 15     27.7


27.7/ 15 =1.85 GPA

What is the difference between Academic Probation and Academic Suspension?

  • Academic Probation: A student is placed on academic probation for a period of one semester. If a student fails to raise their cumulative grade point average to “satisfactory progress” after the probationary period, he/she may be suspended.
  • Academic Suspension: Academic Suspension sets a limit of 8 on the number of credits a student may register for during any given semester. However, any student placed on Academic Suspension will not be eligible for any financial aid, grants or loans while on suspension. First semester students and/or students who have been suspended  for the FIRST TIME will automatically be placed on probation for one semester. Students who have been academically suspended have two options for completing their studies at Monroe Community College: 1. The student may “appeal” to the Academic Appeals Committee for consideration to be reinstated on Academic Probation for the following semester. The appeal must be submitted in writing on the appropriate form. Or  2. Without “appealing” students may continue their studies on a PART-TIME BASIS (8 CREDIT HOURS OR FEWER). Students must seek assistance from their Academic Advisor or a Counselor in planning their course of study prior to registration.

When I come in to register, what should I do?

When you come to register, you don’t need to bring anything but you do need to do some homework beforehand. You need to know which classes you have already taken or your test scores. You also need to know your M number (the number which begins with M00). It also helps us if you have looked at the college catalog and have an idea of which classes you’d like to take. When you have ideas, it’s easier for your advisor to help you choose classes in which you will be successful. For a first semester student taking TRS 101 and TRS 092, here are some sample schedules:

Class Days Credits Time

TRS 101-004




TRS 092-007








COS 101-010




PEC 148-015





Or another schedule might be:

Class Days Credits Time

TRS 101-004




TRS 092-007








COS 133-012




 *brackets indicate classes which don't qualify for college credit, but do qualify for financial aid credit.

To access the college catalog, click here


Why do I have to take TRS classes?

Transitional Studies classes are designed for students who need extra study to make the transition from high school to college or from work to college. Your skills may have declined as a result of not using them, or you may not have taken the appropriate classes in high school. The Accuplacer test results tell us you need some extra help. We would rather have you get the help you need, than take classes which are too hard for you, become discouraged, and drop out of school.

Are Accuplacer results ever wrong?

The Accuplacer test was developed, standardized and validated by the College Board. It is used at over 300 colleges in the US. We began using it here in 1992. The results are based on your answers to a series of questions. If you do not take the test seriously, or if you are not feeling well when you take the test, the results may be poor.

What if I think my Accuplacer scores are wrong?

If you think your skills are better than the test indicated there are things you can do. During the first week of class, teachers will test you to determine whether you are in the right class. These tests tell your instructor where you fit best. You can then change classes if the tests show that you're in the wrong class. You are also eligible to take the Accuplacer test six months after you take it the first time.

Click here to find out about the Accuplacer Test

Where can I go to be advised?

You can see any of the Advisors listed on our staff page. We will be happy to help you.

Why can't I go to the Advisement Center for advisement if I take TRS classes?

There are rules that apply to TRS students only. The Advisement Center has such a large number of programs to know about that it is difficult for them to know all the special TRS rules also. Therefore we recommend coming to a TRS instructor or a Student Support Services Advisor for advisement.

What are these special rules?

One of the important concerns is a financial aid concern. If you take TRS classes, your first semester here at MCC you must pass 3 non-TRS credits in addition to your TRS classes. Your second semester, you must pass 6 non-TRS credits, your third semester you must pass 9, and your fourth semester you must pass 12 non-TRS credits. If these rules aren't followed, you won't get full financial aid. Also, if you drop a class, you may have to pay back the money. For these reasons, we recommend seeing an Advisor before making any schedule changes.

Click here to find out about Academic Advisement