FPT 215 - Hazardous Materials Technician
This course prepares emergency response personnel to effectively and safely respond to hazardous materials incidents. Focuses include chemistry and toxicology of hazardous materials; the dangerous properties of chemicals; the use of detection instruments, confinement and containment procedures, including hands-on application; incident management and safety procedures; decontamination; and the selection and use of chemical protective clothing with hands-on practice. This course meets the training requirements of OSHA 1910.120 for the Hazardous Materials Technician. Three class hours.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Analyze a hazmat/weapons of mass destruction (WMD) incident.
2. Plan a response within the capabilities of available resources.
3. Implement the plan to favorably change the outcomes consistent with the standard operating procedures and site safety and control plan.
4. Evaluate the progress of the planned response.
5. Demonstrate the proper methods in terminating an incident.
6. Utilize various forms of technology to assist in formulating an Incident Action Plan (IAP) for a specific scene or event.
7. Demonstrate the proper use of technology for the categorization or identification of various chemicals.
Course Offered Fall only
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2018