DEN 229 - Periodontics III
Various periodontal surgical procedures will be reviewed in this course. Students will learn pre and post care of periodontal patients, post surgical complications, and latest advances in periodontal diagnostics/treatment. Diagnosis and management concepts of various periodontal diseases will be discussed through case-studies format. Students will write a "Perio Paper" (Writing Intensive Course). One class hour.
Prerequisite: Successful completion of all previous semesters DEN courses with a grade of C or better.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Describe periodontal emergencies.
2. List the differences between periodontal and periapical abscesses.
3. List the steps taken to manage a periodontal abscess.
4. Compare various surgical periodontal procedures.
5. Describe the instruments used for incision design of various surgical periodontal procedures.
6. Describe surgical procedures using the appropriate terminology.
7. Define informed consent and informed refusal for periodontal treatment.
8. Describe pre and post-surgical instructions for the periodontal patient.
9. Describe possible complications following periodontal surgery.
10. Describe management of post-surgical complications following periodontal surgery.
Course Offered Spring only
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2018