ENG 200 - Advanced Composition
Course focuses on written analysis, oral discourse, evaluation, argument and research. Assignments develop depth and proficiency in using language. Basic composition skills are assumed. (Can be taken in place of ENG 101 to satisfy the composition requirement for graduation.) This course may not be taken concurrently with ENG 101. Three class hours. (SUNY-BC).
Prerequisite(s): Waiver of Accuplacer Reading and sentence level tests; score of 100 or higher on reading test and 96 or higher on sentence level test; SAT reading score of 600 or higher, or ACT 26 or higher, or ELA regents 85 or higher or ENG 101 with a C or higher.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Summarize a variety of complex texts.
2. Analyze rhetorical strategies used by a variety of texts.
3. Locate sources using a variety of research methods.
4. Evaluate sources using a variety of research methods.
5. Synthesize concepts from multiple sources.
6. Apply rhetorical strategies in an attempt to persuade a reader.
7. Apply strategic revision to texts to improve them.
8. Deliver effective oral presentations.
9. Demonstrate mastery of standard documentation style.
10. Demonstrate mastery of standard written English (such as grammar, mechanics, and style).
11. Apply established criteria to evaluate an oral discourse.
12. Use strategies of oral discourse to convey information to an audience.
Course Offered Fall and Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2018