PLE 204 - Practicum in Policing II
This sixteen-week course places the recruit officer/deputy into an application laboratory experience in which his/her degree of direct involvement accelerates with experience. He/she applies the principles, theories and techniques taught in the academy stage, to the operating demands of the street. The officer/deputy is under the close and continuous supervision of a specially trained assessment professional - the Field Training Officer. Successful completion of this course leads to certification as a Police Officer by the NYS Bureau of Municipal Police. 640 experiential hours. Offered Fall, Spring and Summer.
Prerequisites: PLE 101, PLE 102, PLE 103.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Present a professional appearance while on the job.
2. Receive and act upon feedback from a colleague or senior officer.
3. Apply ethical principles to varying situations while on the job.
4. Follow departmental policies and procedures.
5. Apply appropriate penal/criminal procedures to various situations.
6. Enforce various vehicle and traffic laws appropriately in various situations.
7. Demonstrate effective driving skills under varying conditions or circumstances.
8. Complete a variety of reports as required.
9. Apply officer safety skills effectively under varying conditions or circumstances.
10. Apply principles of conflict management as required in various situations.