OFT 268 - Medical Office Procedures
The duties and responsibilities of a medical office will be covered, including proper telephone techniques, preparation of medical records, appointment books (paper and electronic), preparation of standard insurance forms, billing, maintenance of petty cash book, handling of incoming and outgoing mail, confidentiality and legal considerations, and office management. Computer simulation projects are included. Three class hours.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the job responsibilities of a medical office secretary.
2. Understand and articulate the components of a medical chart, medical billing, and third-party reimbursement.
3. Perform duties such as medical appointment scheduling using both "pen and paper" and computerized methods.
4. Maintain, record, and verify office financial records such as a checking accounts, bank reconciliations, and petty cash.
5. Assist in preparing professional reports and compiling research data; prepare medical letters and e-mail messages.
6. Assist in making travel arrangements, meeting arrangements, and medical conference arrangements.
Course Offered Fall and Spring