Department:Chemistry and Geosciences
School(s): Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)MCC Program Code: LSC1
CIP Code: 40.0501
NYSED Code (BRI): 37105
The Chemistry A.S. degree program prepares students to transfer and earn a Baccalaureate degree in Chemistry or a related area, by providing both chemistry and general education courses that parallel the first two years at a four-year institution.
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Discuss key principles of atomic and molecular structure, chemical bonding, conformational analysis, and stereochemistry.
2. Use dimensional analysis to perform unit conversions and stoichiometry problems.
3. Discuss fundamental concepts of dynamics, equilibrium, thermochemistry, and electrochemistry.
4. Assign IUPAC names to simple inorganic and organic compounds.
5. Predict products of a chemical reaction from given starting materials and reagents.
6. Propose reaction mechanisms for a given reaction using curved arrow notation.
7. Design multistep synthesis (less than ten steps) for organic compounds using retrosynthetic analysis.
8. Record observations in an organized manner.
9. Synthesize a hypothesis based on experimental observations.
10. Demonstrate beginning laboratory skills, such as keeping a lab notebook, use of electronic balances and volumetric glassware, preparation of solutions, and chemical measurements using pH electrodes and spectrophotometers.
11. Demonstrate intermediate laboratory techniques, such as those involved in the synthesis and characterization of organic compounds.
12. Analyze and interpret laboratory results.
13. Write formal lab reports to convey results of experiments in a clear, logical manner.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Math requirement: Regents Algebra 2/Trigonometry (exam score >/= 83) OR Level 9 Math at MCC OR MTH 165 (grade of C or better).
Chemistry requirement: Regents Chemistry (exam score >/= 70) OR CHE 145 (grade of C or better).
| ENG 101 College Composition OR|
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
|MTH 210 Calculus I|
|CHE 151 General College Chemistry I|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - SOCIAL SCIENCES (SUNY-SS) ELECTIVE|
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - HEALTH AND WELLNESS (MCC-HW) ELECTIVE|
First Semester Total:
|MTH 211 Calculus II|
|CHE 152 General College Chemistry II|
| SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - THE ARTS (SUNY-A) OR |
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - FOREIGN LANGUAGES (SUNY-FL) OR
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - AMERICAN HISTORY (SUNY-AH) ELECTIVE
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - VALUES AND ETHICS (MCC-VE) ELECTIVE|
Second Semester Total:
|CHE 251 Organic Chemistry I|
|PHY 161 University Physics I|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - HUMANITIES (SUNY-H) ELECTIVE|
Third Semester Total:
|CHE 252 Organic Chemistry II|
|PHY 261 University Physics II|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - OTHER WORLD CIVILIZATIONS (SUNY-OWC) OR|
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - WESTERN CIVILIZATION (SUNY-WC)
Fourth Semester Total:
Printer Friendly Version