Successful completion of this program prepares an individual for admission to the New York State Health Department examinations for certification as a paramedic. The paramedic certification course sequence includes classroom, hands-on skill development, hospital clinical experience, and field internships. This program includes only the courses required for admission to the New York State Department of Health Paramedic certification exams. This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. (www.caahep.org).
(Housed in PSTF)
1) Perform a comprehensive patient assessment
2) Deliver medications according to protocols
3) Deliver life-saving interventions according to protocols
4) Manage patient care while providing safe transportation to appropriate medical facilities
5) Communicate effectively with a variety of audiences, which could include: patients, families/friends, or other public safety and medical professionals
6) Apply knowledge acquired from the program's general education requirements in a variety of non-clinical roles such as management, education, etc.
Requirements for Program Entrance
High School diploma. EMT certification. Competitive admission - please contact the EMS Department at 585-753-3712 regarding current admissions criteria.
EMS 171 Critical Trauma Care
EMS 236 Advanced Cardiac Life Support
EMS 239 Paramedic Clinical and Field Experience I
EMS 240 Paramedic Clinical and Field Experience II
EMS 246 Advanced Pediatric Care
EMS 270 Introduction to Paramedicine
EMS 271 Medical Care in Paramedicine
EMS 272 Advanced Trauma Issues in Paramedicine
* Offered at the Public Safety Training Center.