WELLNESS COACHING AND HEALTH MANAGEMENT
This program is designed for individuals who want to enter the new and emerging field of Wellness Coaching and Health Management. Wellness coaches facilitate the development of healthy goals including; lifestyle enhancement, healthy nutrition, improved physical activity and stress reduction. However, the Wellness Coach takes traditional fitness and wellness promotion one step further and actively assists clients in social advocacy, complementary therapies, meaning, purpose and life vision. Students will acquire a strong foundation in science as it relates to human movement and fitness, behavior change, and wellness. Additionally, students will develop skills in assessment and program planning, implementation and monitoring. Students will have the opportunity to earn Health and Wellness Coaching Certification at the local level. Mastery of skills and completion of this program will also help prepare students to become certified by the International Consortium for Health & Wellness Coaching.
1. Describe the field of Wellness Coaching and Management
2. Describe the role of comprehensive wellness in the context of behavior change within the field of Wellness Coaching and Management.
3. Assess client wellness within accepted professional standards and within the scope of practice.
4. Evaluate client history in the development of a comprehensive Wellness Program.
5. Evaluate client readiness in the development of a comprehensive Wellness Program
6. Implement comprehensive behavior change programs including the cognitive-, effective-, and psychomotor-learning domains.
7. Comply with professional standards, ethics, and applicable laws and regulations regarding the practice of Wellness Coaching.
8. Interpret current research in the discipline.
9. Engage in professional associations within the profession.
Requirements for Program Entrance
HS Biology with a grade of C or better, or any lab-based Biology course numbered 120 or higher with a grade of C- or better, or permission of instructor. MCC Level 8 Mathematics Placement.
ENG 101 College Composition
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
MTH 160 Statistics I
HED 130 Foundations of Personal Health and Wellness
PPE 100 Introduction to Sports Science
PEC 253 Stress Management
First Semester Total:
BIO 134 Essential of Human Anatomy and Physiology I
HED 207 Emotional Wellness
HED 210 Integrative Health and Wellness
PPE 155 Sport Performance Coaching
PSY 101 Introductory Psychology
Second Semester Total:
BIO 135 Essential of Human Anatomy and Physiology
PPE 208 Sport, Exercise and Wellness Psychology
PPE 240 Selected Topics: Theories in Presentation
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - HUMANITIES (SUNY-H) ELECTIVE
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - OTHER WORLD CIVILIZATIONS (SUNY-OWC) ELECTIVE
Third Semester Total:
FOURTH SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours
104 Introduction to Business
HED 208 Chronic and Communicable Disease
HED 209 Drugs and Behavior
PPE 275 Physiology of Exercise
PSY 200 Behavior Modification
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - AMERICAN HISTORY
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - FOREIGN LANGUAGES (SUNY-FL)
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - WESTERN CIVILIZATION (SUNY-WC) ELECTIVE
Fourth Semester Total: