OFFICE TECHNOLOGY: MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT
This one-year certificate program is designed to provide students with a firm foundation for the medical office environment. With the development of strong word processing and communication skills, transcription skills, and medical office protocol, the student is well on the path to a fulfilling career in the medical office support area.
(Housed in the Information and Computer Technologies Department)
1) Demonstrate the soft skills needed to be successful as an administrative assistant (office support) which may include: punctuality acceptance of personal responsibility teamwork skills expressing a positive attitude under stress effective customer service skills or other related skills.
2) Demonstrate effective oral communication skills both in person and on the telephone.
3) Write effectively in an office environment in a variety of modes.
4) Exhibit proficiency in using a variety of current healthcare-based office software which may include: desktop publishing applications medical databases or other medical-based computer applications.
5) Demonstrate competence in the use of medical office computer-based functions (coding scheduling billing financial reporting etc.).
6) Apply fundamentals of basic business mathematics to workplace needs.
7) Describe the role of a medical office support staff professional and the contribution of that professional to the success of the whole medical office environment.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 3 Math at MCC). Demonstrated keyboard proficiency or completion of OFT 110. Keyboarding I.
FIRST SEMESTER: 17 Credit Hours
OFT 111 Intermediate Word+
OFT 141 Professional Grammar and Communications
HIM 104 Medical Terminology
MTH 130 Modern Business Mathematics
BIO 133 Human Biology
HED 101 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Care
SECOND SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours
OFT 112 Advanced Word I
HED 115 Death and Dying
HED 209 Drugs and Behavior
OFT 267 Medical Office Documentation
OFT 268 Medical Office Procedures
OFT 173 Microsoft Multimedia Communications
+ If background allows (25 wpm for 5 minutes). Otherwise must take OFT 110 before OFT 111.