CLT 100 - Introduction to Medical Laboratory Technology
This course is an overview of the Health Care System with an emphasis on the profession of Medical Laboratory Technology. The course covers the training and continuing education of Health Care workers and outlines the roles Clinical Laboratory Technicians/Medical Laboratory Technicians play as part of the health care team. The student will describe the history and current practices relative to education, governance and common practice in the clinical laboratory field. The student will be able to discuss and demonstrate safety, values, ethics and interpersonal interactions as related to Laboratory Science.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the functions of the clinical laboratory in patient care.
2. Diagram and describe the organizational structure of a health care organization.
3. Describe the roles of various clinical laboratory professionals.
4. Compare and contrast the educational and licensure/certification requirements for clinical laboratory professionals.
5. Describe the roles of the agencies involved in clinical laboratory regulation.
6. Describe the major points of legislation that significantly affects the clinical laboratory, such as Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), or New York State Public Health Law.
7. Describe professional behaviors or ethics characteristic of clinical laboratory technology professionals.
8. Compare and contrast the laboratory testing performed in a variety of settings.
Course Offered Fall