School(s): Arts & HumanitiesCIP Code: 23.0101
MCC Program Code: EG01
NYSED Code (BRI): 37938
NYSED Code (DCC): 37989
The English degree program provides students with a variety of literature courses for preparation in careers such as business, communication and media arts, law, the teaching of English, and all careers that require excellent communication and writing skills. The curriculum balances liberal art studies with a heavy concentration on literature, as well as more current theme-based courses, providing analytical and critical thinking skills in order to examine literature as the human experience.
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Analyze verbal texts from a number of genres.
2. Analyze visual texts from a number of genres.
3. Analyze verbal texts from a variety of historical periods.
4. Analyze visual texts from a variety of historical periods.
5. Read texts critically and with sensitivity to the historical or cultural conditions within which they are produced.
6. Produce effective writing in a variety of critical modes, using the conventions of standard American English.
7. Employ varieties of theoretical approaches in critical analyses.
8. Incorporate secondary sources into the analysis of texts using correct MLA style.
9. Incorporate traditional and nontraditional research material into the analysis of texts using correct MLA style.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra or placement into Level 4 Math at MCC. Placement into ENG 101 or ENG 200.
|ENG 101 College Composition OR |
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
|MTH 150 - Survey of Mathematics OR higher##|
| PHL 101 - Introduction to Philosophy OR |
PHL 103 - Introduction to Ethics OR
PHL 105 - Technology and Values
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - FOREIGN LANGUAGES (SUNY-FL) ELECTIVE|
First Semester Total:
|ENG 218 Introduction to Shakespeare|
|SUNY-GENERAL EDUCATION - NATURAL SCIENCES (SUNY-NS) ELECTIVE|
|MCC-GENERAL EDUCATION - TECHNOLOGICAL LITERACY (MCC-TL) ELECTIVE|
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - HEALTH AND WELLNESS (MCC-HW) ELECTIVE|
Second Semester Total:
|ENG 201 Early British Literature OR|
ENG 202 Modern British Literature
|HMN 220 Western Humanities I OR|
HMN 221 Western Humanities II
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - SOCIAL SCIENCES (SUNY-SS) ELECTIVE|
Third Semester Total:
|ENG 203 American Literature to 1865 OR|
ENG 204 American Literature since 1865
| SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - OTHER WORLD CIVILIZATIONS (SUNY-OWC) OR |
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - WESTERN CIVILIZATION (SUNY-WC) ELECTIVE
Fourth Semester Total:
##MTH 150 or any other SUNY-M course with a higher number.
*Choose any 100- or 200-level English literature or Humanities (HMN) course.
**Choose from: ENG 102, 113, 200, 213, 233, 243, 250, 251, 253, 263; ENG 200 may not be taken as an elective if student received ENG 200 placement and/or completed the course in substitution for ENG 101.
Printer Friendly Version