The Certificate for the Golf Management Program introduces the student into the business aspect of the golf industry. Graduates of the Golf Management Certificate will establish a basis for a career within the various elements of the game of golf. Completion of this certificate program will qualify the student for any entry level position in the golf industry.
The Certificate in Golf Management program provides an excellent foundation for students seeking employment in the Golf industry. The curriculum covers specific instruction on the rules of golf, design, fitting and repair of equipment and golf course maintenance. Students also learn golf shop policies and services, human resource management and entrepreneurial studies, giving them a broader understanding of the business aspect of the golf industry. Completion of this certificate program will qualify the student for entry level positions in the golf industry.
(Housed in the Hospitality Department) DEACTIVATED PROGRAM - NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS.
1) Identify and describe the numerous job descriptions within the golf industry
2) Interpret and communicate rules decisions in the theater of formal competition
3) Design a comprehensive business plan for retail purposes
4) Create a viable revenue stream through structuring a thorough lesson program
5) Take a customer’s specifications and fit them into the proper equipment
6) Classify requirements of nutrition for turf grass
7) Produce a policies and procedures manual.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Pre-Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 3 Math at MCC).
Placement into TRS 200, English 101 or higher.
FIRST SEMESTER: 17 Credit Hours
GLF 115 Introduction to Golf Management
GLF 117 The Rules of Golf
GLF 118 Golf Shop Operation
GLF 126 Introduction to Golf Equipment
HSP 201 Hospitality Human Resources Management
SECOND SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours
GLF 122 Golf Fundamentals and Methods
GLF 130 Golf Course Maintenance
GLF 136 Golf Shop Policies and Services
BUS 110 Entrepreneurial Studies I
CE 260 Cooperative Education - Hospitality Management**
*CE 255/FSA/GLF 140/HSP/HTL/TVL
**CE 260 can be taken during the summer.
NOTE: Please see the Hospitality Management A.A.S. Degree - Golf Management, for a degree option to the Certificate program.