School(s): Business & Entrepreneurial StudiesCIP Code: 11.0201
MCC Program Code: CI01
NYSED Code (BRI): 01227
This program will develop the skills and knowledge needed by students who plan to seek employment as technical support specialists, help desk technicians, and customer service support associates. Students will obtain an understanding of programming, networks and databases as well as basic knowledge of business fundamentals such as accounting, marketing, economics and management. The core courses within this program provide students with a solid base of communication, interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills.
This program is not designed as a transfer program. Students who plan to transfer to a four-year college to earn their Bachelor's degree should discuss their plans with an advisor as early as possible to identify the appropriate program.
(Housed in the Business Administration and Economics Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Identify and describe the function and interaction of computer system components.
2. Diagnose and resolve computer system problems.
3. Develop a system proposal to satisfy user requirements, including system customization.
4. Write a computer program using an object-oriented language, which applies structured design and programming principles, and includes comprehensive documentation.
5. Develop a computer program that satisfies user requirements.
6. Communicate ideas, user-specifications, system documentation, and research results in a professional manner, both orally and in writing.
7. Participate as a member of a collaborative team.
8. Assess key ethical issues as they relate to the responsibilities of computing professionals.
9. Use office software applications to solve business problems.
10. Develop queries of relational databases to satisfy users’ needs in a business environment.
11. Design and develop an interactive Web site for a business.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Intermediate Algebra with Trigonometry (or Math 104 at MCC). Typing or keyboarding recommended.
| ENG 101 College Composition OR |
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
|MTH 165 College Algebra OR higher|
|BUS 104 Introduction to Business|
|CIS 100 Information Processing Fundamentals|
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - HEALTH AND WELLNESS (MCC-HW) ELECTIVE|
First Semester Total:
|BUS 220 Applied Business Applications|
|CIS 123 A+ Guide to Computer Hardware: Technical Support|
|CIS 200 Programming for Information Systems|
| SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - OTHER WORLD CIVILIZATIONS (SUNY-OWC) OR |
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - WESTERN CIVILIZATION (SUNY-WC) ELECTIVE
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - SCIENTIFIC REASONING (MCC-SCI) ELECTIVE*|
Second Semester Total:
|MTH 160 Statistics I|
|ACC 101 Accounting Principles I OR|
ACC 110 Fundamentals of Accounting I AND
ACC 111 Fundamentals of Accounting II
|CIS 201 Introduction to Web Site Programming and Design|
|CIS 124 A+ Guide to Computer Software: Technical Support|
|SPC 141 Interpersonal Speech Communication OR|
SPC 142 Public Speaking
Third Semester Total:
|ENG 251 Technical Communication|
|BUS 275 Business Cooperative Education|
|CIS 209 Systems Analysis and Design|
|CIS 211 Applied Database Concepts|
| ECO 103 Personal Money Management OR|
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - SOCIAL SCIENCE (SUNY-SS) ELECTIVE**
Fourth Semester Total:
**Recommended Social Science Elective: ECO 101 or ECO 111