New and Updated Course Descriptions
SPA 201 - Espana de ayer y de hoy
Through interactive lectures, video and use of the internet, students will gain an overview of contemporary Spain, the country and people viewed from historical and cultural perspectives. Use of the video series El espejo enterrado (The Buried Mirror) provides the student with the opportunity to develop aural skills to an advanced level. The internet will be used to access on-line newspapers, magazines, and a vast array of primary source materials to help develop reading skills and knowledge of specialized vocabulary, while engaging the student in a study of current events. This combination will guide the student to a working knowledge of Spain and to improved language comprehension and fluency. Three class hours. Course offered Fall and Spring
Prerequisite: SPA 104,or a grade of B or better in high school Spanish 5, or permission of the instructor.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Name, distinguish and explain the main features of the different periods in Spain's history.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the political and economic systems today in Spain, and compare them to the U.S. systems.
3. Identify the main movements in art and literature throughout the history of Spain.
4. Demonstrate the ability to communicate in correct Spanish at the advanced level by successfully talking about the historical evolution of Spain.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of the background and cultural differences among the various regions of Spain.
Course Offered Fall and Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Spring Semester 2018
Summer Session 2018