The NYS Teachers’ Retirement System 2016 Summer PREP Seminars schedule is now available and attached below. PREP is designed to help TRS members of all ages prepare for retirement and is structured to allow you to tailor the program to fit your needs. Stay for the entire seminar or attend just the modules below that are of greatest significance to you:
* NYSTRS Benefits: Your pension, disability coverage, loans, vesting, death benefits. (8:45-10:15 a.m.)
* Financial Planning: Saving early, catching up, withdrawals, financial advisors. (10:30-11 a.m.)
* Social Security: Benefits, eligibility rules, when to collect, earning limits. (11-11:25 a.m.)
* Estate Planning: Wills, trusts, powers of attorney, health care proxies, living wills, long-term care. (11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)
* Retirement — A New Beginning: Planning ahead, staying active and healthy, relationships, relocating. (1:30-2:30 p.m.)
* Filing for Retirement: Retirement options, "resigning" vs. "retiring”, choosing a retirement date, retirement checklist. (2:35-3:15 p.m.)
* Retirement Income: Monthly payments, taxes, earning limitations on NYS public employment. (3:15-3:30 p.m.)
Seminars are held from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with registration beginning at 8 a.m. There is no fee to attend and your spouse/companion is welcome to attend, but you must make a reservation in advance. Please note, these seminars are not designed for individual retirement counseling.
PREP seminars often fill up, so book early. If you cannot attend a seminar now, NYS TRS will begin taking reservations for their three PREP schedules during the year in: mid-September (fall schedule); mid-December (winter/spring schedule); and, mid-May (summer schedule). See the NYS TRS website https://www.nystrs.org/
for more information regarding PREP seminars.