The Lunch and Learn on October 7 with Dr. Malins left us with the following useful information:
· One third of all deaths in this country will be as a result of cardiovascular disease
· The major underlying cause of cardiovascular disease is atherosclerosis, a slow, progressive disease which begins in childhood and takes decades to advance
· Hypertension, Diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol, and cigarette smoking are major risk factors for Coronary Heart Disease
· Inactivity – a sedentary person has two times the risk for developing CHD as an active person. Walking/moderate exercise five times a week for 30 minutes will help mitigate the risk.
· Omega-3 fatty acids help to thin blood and prevent platelets from clotting and sticking to artery walls. You can get them from certain fish, soy, canola, and flaxseed oil.
· For a healthy heart, know your risk factors, know your blood pressure, know your cholesterol levels, exercise; even if only walking, maintain a healthy weight, monitor carb intake, pay attention to what you put in your body, and no smoking!
The Wellness Team