MCC Daily Tribune
Call for Nominations: Dr. Wesley T. Hanson Award for Teaching Excellence
The Faculty Senate Professional Development Committee is currently accepting nominations for the Dr. Wesley T. Hanson Award for Teaching Excellence.
The Dr. Wesley T. Hanson Award for Teaching Excellence is the highest teaching award granted by Monroe Community College. Its purpose is to honor the truly extraordinary teaching professional who demonstrates: superb classroom performance and teaching techniques; consistent concern with intellectual growth of individual students; active engagement with student learning; maintenance of superb academic standards in the classroom; & scholarship and growth in the field.
Nominations are due via email to Judi Salsburg Taylor (email@example.com) by 12pm on March 21th, 2022. Cover pages are available on the Faculty Senate's Blackboard Page in the Awards, Professional Leaves, and Professional Development Events section. Below is additional information on the Dr. Wesley T. Hanson Award for Teaching Excellence. Please submit nominations as Microsoft Word documents.
The Dr. Wesley T. Hanson Award for Teaching Excellence
This is the highest teaching award granted by Monroe Community College. Its purpose is to honor the truly extraordinary teaching professional who demonstrates:
- Superb classroom performances and teaching techniques
- Consistent concern with intellectual growth of individual students
- Active engagement with student learning
- Maintenance of superb academic standards in the classroom
- Scholarship and growth in the field
- Must be full-time tenured faculty with academic rank who have eight or more years of service with MCC. Classroom instruction must be at least 1/2 of their normal annual workload for the current academic year.
- Members of the Professional Development Committee, previous recipients, and the Vice Presidents and President of the College are not eligible for any of the awards.
- A candidate for any award must be nominated by two (2) members of the College community (MCC faculty, MCC employees, MCC students). Candidates may not nominate themselves.
- Members of the College community may nominate or second the nomination of only one person for any award.
Nomination packets (recommended that nomination packets not exceed 20 pages) must include all required materials to be considered:
- Cover page with name, rank/title, and years of service at Monroe Community College of the individual being nominated.
- 2 page nomination letter from each nominator.
- 1-2 page current CV/resume.
- 2 page Executive Summary of last three Annual Faculty Development Reports.
- Two most recent classroom observations.
- Three support letters. These support letters can be from department chairs, deans, colleagues, and/or students. These letters should indicate, as specifically as possible, how the individual has gone above and beyond their job responsibilities.
- Support materials to strengthen the nomination:
- Documentation of consistent, superb performance related to exceeding their job description, adaptability, professional recognition/achievements/service, innovation, initiative, professional leadership. Examples include samples of innovative classroom projects, evaluations of student work, course syllabi, or co-curricular programs.
Judi Salsburg Taylor