Congratulations to the following faculty members who presented their research and chaired breakout sessions at the 42nd Annual Scholars’ Conference on the Holocaust and the Churches (ASC). The conference was hosted by MCC May 12-14 and was chaired by Charlie Clarke (Psychology). MCC is only the second community college in ASC history to host the conference. (The ASC was previously hosted by Nassau Community College.) More than 90 scholars from around the world participated in the event.
* Charlie Clarke: The Shoah as a Transcendent Threshold Event
* Bill Drumright (History): Striving for Measured Understanding and Genuine Empathy: the Interaction of Education, Commemoration, and Advocacy in Teaching and Comprehending the Holocaust in the Community College Setting
* Matthew Hachee (English/Philosophy): Using the Holocaust to Teach Political Judgment and Imagination
* Barbara Lovenheim (English/Philosophy, retired): Mysticism for Beginners: a Cabaret of Poetry Post-Wannsee
* Bob Muhlnickel (English/Philosophy): Reasons for Remembering: Self-Interest, Justice and Honor
Regina Fabbro (English/Philosophy) and Bob Muhlnickel participated on the ASC planning committee along with community volunteers. The planning committee was led by Charlie Clarke. Kathy Farrell (VaPA), Patricia Kress (Psychology) and Angelique Stevens (English/Philosophy) chaired breakout sessions during the conference.
From start to finish, student leaders from the Holocaust, Genocide, and Human Rights Project participated in the conference. Saul Schuster, president of the Holocaust, Genocide, and Human Rights Project, chaired a breakout session and also the closing keynote presentation. MCC students Allyson Bonne, Sam Bonelli, Kathryn Friedman, Lauren Paiz and Chloe Vazzana also volunteered their time.
Rosanna Condello (College and Community Relations), Jodi Oriel (Office of Student Life and Leadership Development) and Sharon Scurlock (Science, Health and Business), Carol Fisher and the MCC Bookstore staff also contributed significantly to the success of the conference.