MCC Daily Tribune
Starfish News - The Kudos Survey! Coming Soon
Recent research into our Starfish practices has shown significant lifts in persistence among our students as a result of kudos they receive from MCC faculty. I want to thank our faculty for their use of the kudos: your genuine words of commendation, appreciation and recognition can go a long way toward motivating a student to succeed in your class and at MCC.
To encourage more of this positive reinforcement we will be running The Kudos Survey in Starfish beginning Monday, November 19. Unlike previous surveys this semester, The Kudos Survey will have only kudos available - no flags - and the survey will be for all students, including online classes. Faculty participation in The Kudos Survey is OPTIONAL.
Below are the kudos options available in The Kudos Survey. Any comments provided by the instructor will be seen by the student. Hopefully these kudos may motivate students as they prepare for the final few weeks of the semester.
- Showing Improvement! Raise this kudo to commend a student whose hard work is improving their performance in your class.
- You Rock! Raise this kudo to acknowledge a student's outstanding performance in your class.
- Great Participation! Raise this kudo to acknowledge a student's positive contributions in class discussions.
- Overcoming Challenges. Raise this kudo to acknowledge a student's perseverance in the face of adversity. (Comments Required)
- You've Got What It Takes! Raise this kudo to encourage a student to pursue leadership or merit-based opportunities such as honors, scholarships, research, becoming a tutor, enrollment in the next level of a course sequence, etc. (Comments Required)
- Thank You. Raise this kudo for a student whose performance or behavior has helped in achieving your desired outcomes for the class. (Comments Required)
The Kudos Survey will be available in Starfish from November 19 through November 30, and as with previous surveys it will be delivered to faculty via email. Although they are excluded from this survey, flags and outreach requested items will remain available in Starfish to be raised manually at any time.
Thank you for your participation! I hope the Kudos Survey is a rewarding experience for you and your students.