The Future of Medicine: Liberty Partnerships Program Careers in Health Care Event
Each year MCC’s Liberty Partnerships Program (LPP) provides career exploration opportunities for our students. LPP serves around 280 students, grades 7-12 from RCSD. Many of our students know about becoming a doctor or a lawyer or a professional athlete, but they do not always know about the endless career opportunities within any given field. LPP exposes students to these career opportunities through workshops and field trips. During the enrollment process, each new LPP student is asked what career they are interested in pursuing. A career in health care is the most popular by a wide margin! On December 15th, LPP students packed the room as the following health care professionals from the Rochester area came to DCC to share their journeys and experiences working in healthcare:
* Mr. Jim Grant, Athletic Trainer at St. John Fisher College
* Dr. Gina Cuyler, Co-Founder of the Black Physicians Network of Greater Rochester INC
* Ms. Jamie Kirkpatrick, a 2nd year MCC Dental student
* Ms. Dianne Kandt, Nurse Educator with Rochester General Hospital
* Ms. Colleen Caruana, Nurse and Nursing Professor at MCC
* Ms. Mary Seely, Director of the Surgical Tech program at MCC.
Each took time to explain why they chose their career, the training they received to become certified, and the daily ups and downs of their jobs. Students had the chance to interact with the panelists throughout the presentation, and gained important information regarding what students should be doing in high school to be the strongest candidate for the job down the road. It was clear a number of students left inspired to learn more about their future and a possible dream job!
Liberty Partnerships Program is funded by the New York State Department of Education.
Liberty Partnerships Program
Careers in Health Care Trib 2015.pdf