The College is pleased to announce a new program for Fall 2015: Surgical Technology!
What is the Surgical Tech program?
This program is designed to prepare Surgical Technologist who practice under medical supervision to facilitate safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures. The individual works as a member of the surgical team under the supervision of the circulating nurse and surgeon to ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. Surgical technologists possess expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combine knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a physician's performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. Graduates of Surgical Technology programs are prepared to work in a variety of settings including inpatient hospital operating rooms, outpatient surgery centers, emergency rooms and central supply.
Surgical Technology, to be housed in the Department of Nursing, is a two year program with a fall only start date (includes one summer session). Graduates of the program will be required to pass a national certification exam.
How can I find out more information?
· Information session on campus: Monday, May 4th from 1:00-1:45 in the Empire Room (3-209) at the Brighton Campus.
· Please see an advisor in Advisement & Graduation (currently enrolled students) Bldg 1-231, 292-2400 OR contact Admissions (new/transfer/readmit students for Fall 2015) Bldg 1-211, 292-2200.
What are the prerequisites?
Prerequisites MUST be completed by the June 1, 2015 application deadline date.
· Level 8 Math placement OR MTH 104 with a “C” or higher (MTH 165/175/210 also acceptable with a “C” or higher)
· High school biology OR BIO 120/132&133/142/144/155 with a grade of “C” or higher
· High school chemistry OR CHE 100/124/145/151 with a grade of “C” or higher
How do I apply?
Applications for Fall 2015 must be submitted by June 1, 2015. Decisions will be made by June 15, 2015.
· Currently enrolled, matriculated students are required to apply online through the “request a change of major” form on the Student Services tab in myMCC. Select “Fall 2015,” then “Surgical Technology – SG01.”
· New, transfer, or readmit students for Fall 2015 are required to apply through the Admissions Office/update Fall 2015 application.
Division of Science, Health & Business