The World Languages and Cultures Department is pleased to announce the 2015 Italy Summer Program in association with Florence University of the Arts (FUA). Through this program, students will have the opportunity to partake in a summer academic program featuring four weeks in Italy. The experience begins with a travel week of Cultural Introduction to Italy to foster awareness of Italian cultural heritage and lifestyle. Students will experience important locations such as Rome, Maremma (southern Tuscany), and Versilia (northern Tuscany), and their defining characteristics such as cuisine, history, architecture, etc. The program will subsequently move to Florence for three weeks of regular academic classes held at the state of the art campuses of Florence University of the Arts. Courses are offered by FUA’s many academic departments and taught by a highly qualified international faculty body.
Departure – Saturday, May 30, 2015
Return – Sunday, June 28, 2015
- 1-credit travel week in Rome (includes all visits, accommodation, and some meals)
- 3-credit course in Florence selected from FUA’s schedule of classes (i.e. Italian Language and Culture, Art History and Architecture, Photography and Creative Arts, Cinema and Theatre, Music Studies, Business and Economics, Environmental Studies, Fashion Design and Technology, Contemporary Italian Cooking, Tuscany and Its Wines, Classical Cakes and Tarts, and many more)
- Housing in shared apartments and partial meal plan at the university restaurant
- Free use of gym and library facilities
- Field trips to Parma and Pienza, two of Italy’s gastronomic capitals
- Round trip airfare Rochester – Rome and transportation to Florence
APPROXIMATE COST: $7,300
It includes all the items listed under Program Features, plus travel insurance and additional cultural activities. Please note that the final amount may vary depending on airfare and airport related fees.
ABOUT FLORENCE UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS (FUA)
- FUA is a multidisciplinary institution that seeks to offer dynamic possibilities of study through a rich selection of academic institutions and departments.
- FUA unites communities, nationalities, compelling projects, and studies capable of shaping the cultural landscape of Florence.
- FUA encourages students to be challenged by both classroom and service learning for civic engagement, and to challenge the weight of Florence’s glorious heritage in order to contribute to its future with a fresh mind and open eyes
- FUA strives to provide its students with an experience that goes beyond the Renaissance façade of Florence by communicating to them that who we are and what they experience go beyond cultural stereotypes.
- FUA believes that each student should go back home with a clear concept of Florence and Italy that includes a profound cultural understanding gained from integration. What they receive from the experience is a life changed and newfound understanding and perspectives that they will carry in their hearts for the rest of their lives.
Participants in this tour must enroll in ITA 221 (Italian Culture on Location), 3 credit hours, in the spring semester 2015. It meets on Tuesdays from 3:00 to 4:20 PM and it starts on March 3, 2015. There is no language prerequisite.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you are interested in this unique study abroad opportunity, contact Prof. Drew Lawrence mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. Louis Silvers mailto:Lsilvers@monroecc.edu, or attend one of the following informational sessions:
Feb. 4 – 9:00 – 10:00 AM – 3-115
Feb. 4 – 10:00 – 11:00 AM – 3-115
Feb. 4 – 11:00 – 12:00 PM – 3-115
Feb. 9 – 2:00 – 3:00 PM – 3-117
Feb. 10 – 4:30 – 5:30 PM – 3-116
Feb. 11 – 9:00 – 10:00 AM – 3-116
Feb. 11 – 10:00 – 11:00 AM - 3-116
Feb. 11 – 11:00 – 12:00 PM – 3-116
World Languages and Cultures