MCC Daily Tribune
2019 Scholars' Day is a Weekday
Attention faculty: Scholars' Day 2019 will be held on a weekday. Most events will take place in building 12, 2nd floor, on the first Tuesday in May. We've already notified your department chairs, and hopefully word has filtered down to some faculty, but probably not all. Note that this scheduling means that Scholars' Day events will occupy classrooms on the 2nd floor of building 12 for much of that day.
A call for proposals will go out as usual in the coming weeks. We hope you will plan on supporting Scholars' Day in one of many ways:
- Mentoring student research and independent projects for poster or classroom presentation;
- Building Scholars' Day into your curriculum and promoting student attendance, perhaps as a homework assignment;
- Bringing your class or at least permitting your students to come to the presentations if teaching that day;
- Joining Scholars' Day as an open classroom, inviting the public (i.e., mostly, members of the college community) into your classroom, either for a lecture or student presentations (wherever you are on campus);
- Supporting students who are presenting, and who may be one of your students (especially if their presentation conflicts with your class time).
Faculty teaching in the regular classrooms of building 12 (2nd floor) will have the option to join us as a class, to free your students to join us, or to have your class relocated for the one day. (To join us, we would require opening the classroom to the public, ideally for your own student presentations, which would be neither filtered by the Scholars' Day Committee, nor judged by Scholars' Day judges.)
The keynote address will follow on Wednesday, May 8.
Since this is our first time running Scholars' Day on a weekday, with classes in session, we anticipate logistical conflicts, but we hope this will launch a move to a broader annual campus-wide event. We greatly appreciate your cooperation and hope you will join us in one way or another.
On behalf of the Scholars' Day Committee,
Scholars' Day Committee