MCC Daily Tribune
Call for Nominations for Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching
Do you know a deserving Adjunct Faculty Member that you would like to nominate for the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching? If so, please complete a nomination packet and send to Sandy Warren in Human Resources by Wednesday, October 21, 2020. The nomination packet should be in .pdf form.
The Nomination packet must include - a nomination letter - addressed to the Chancellor's Award Selection Committee, a current curriculum vitae, verification that nominees have taught, over the proceeding five years, a total of courses equivalent to one-half of a three year, full-time teaching load in the nominating department; evaluations of students' work; and student evaluations, if available. Self nominations are not accepted.
The Chancellor's Awards for Excellence are SUNY System level honors conferred to acknowledge and provide system wide recognition for consistently superior professional achievement and to encourage the ongoing pursuit of excellence. Each individual campus convenes a committee of previous Chancellor's Award Winners to determine which names go forward to SUNY. Final selection is determined by SUNY.
The primary criterion is skill in teaching. There must be positive evidence that the candidate performs superbly in educational environments. The nominee must maintain instructional policies that adapt readily to student needs, interests and problems. Mastery of teaching techniques must be demonstrated and substantiated.
Candidates' evaluations of students' work must be strongly supported by evidence. When available, student evaluations (in the form of student questionnaires administered and compiled by persons other than the nominee) may provide a clear idea of the nominee's effectiveness in teaching.
Additional consideration, as appropriate, may be given to:
* Outstanding support for the intellectual growth of individual students;
* Demonstrated use of relevant contemporary data from their discipline(s) in their teaching. Evidence may be scholarly and/or widely recognized experience in the field;
* Number of students per course; and
* Different teaching techniques employed.
Nominees for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching must meet the following criteria:
* Nominees must be Adjunct Faculty as generally defined by the specific SUNY institution. Individuals serving in full-time professional or academic positions at a SUNY institution are not eligible for this award;
* Nominees must have taught, over the proceeding five years, a total of courses equivalent to one-half of a three-year full-time teaching load in the appropriate department;
* Nominees may also serve in adjunct roles at other educational institutions; and
* Nominees must be employed by the nominating campus at the time of the nomination.
There are also circumstances that preclude nomination regardless of the program. The following are special conditions that limit eligibility and these restrictions apply to all programs:
Individuals holding Distinguished Faculty Rank: Distinguished Librarian, Distinguished Professor, Distinguished Service Professor and Distinguished Teaching Professor - may not be nominated for an Excellence Award in any of the categories;
Recipients of an Excellence Award may not be nominated for another Excellence Award within a five-year interval.
Recipients of an Excellence Award may not be re-nominated for an award in the same category.
The chief campus officer for academic, student, or administrative affairs, or persons serving in these capacities, may not be nominated for an Excellence Award. Therefore, other examples of positions excluded are: Direct reports to the President or Chancellor, Vice Chancellors and above, Vice Presidents and above, Vice Provosts and above, Senior Counsels and above, and the Deans of the College of Ceramics at Alfred University and the New York Stat e Colleges of Agriculture and Life Sciences, of Human Ecology, of Industrial and Labor Relations, and of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University.
Posthumous nominations are ineligible.
Nomination packets may be submitted electronically to Sandy Warren at email@example.com. All nominations are due by Wednesday, October 21.