PERSONAL TRAINER/FITNESS INSTRUCTOR
Department: Health and Physical Education
School: Health Sciences & Physical Wellness
CIP Code: 31-0599
MCC Program Code: PE02
NYSED Code (BRI): 38471
NYSED Code (DCC): 38472
100% of this program can be completed online.
This is a two-semester certificate program designed to prepare the student to enter the fitness industry. This is an ideal program for individuals who desire certification as personal trainers and fitness instructors, or for individuals who would like to expand their knowledge and skills in fitness for use with athletic teams, individual or group client situations, or personal development. Upon completion of this certificate students will be prepared to take the Cooper Institute Certified Personal Trainer (CI-CPT), the American College of Sport Medicine (ACSM) Certified Personal Trainer and the National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF) Personal Trainer Certification. (First Aid and CPR certifications are required by completion of the certificate).
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate competence in fitness assessment, diet assessment and personal living skills based on client data.
2. Develop individualized progressive fitness programs and plans based on client needs and goals.
3. Communicate appropriately with clients in both the conveyance of professional information and demonstration of socially appropriate interpersonal skills.
4. Accommodate the diversity of client characteristics and the changing nature of physical activity.
5. Demonstrate safe and current physical skills such as locomotor and non-locomotor movement skills, dynamic and static stretching, technique for free weight and technology assisted strength training, and functional exercise.
For related jobs: Career Coach
Occupational Resource: http://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
High School Diploma. High School Biology is recommended. MCC Level 8 Mathematics Placement
|Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|FIRST SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|ENG 101 College Composition ||3|
|PPE 100 Introduction to Sport Science||4|
|PPE 208 Sports Psychology||3|
|SMT 215 Sports Management ||3|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - NATURAL SCIENCE ELECTIVE ||3|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 12 Credit Hours|
|MTH 160 Statistics ||3|
|PPE 155 Sport Performance Coaching ||3|
| PPE 240 Selected Topics in Physical Studies || 3|
| SMT 201 Cooperative Education - Sports Management || 3|
| TOTAL CREDITS||28|
Printer Friendly Version