Medical Office Assistant
Medical offices are investing in new technology and technicians – now is the time to specialize
The health care industry needs more highly trained office staff than ever before. At Monroe Community College you can develop the skills to enter this dynamic field in just one year with an Office Technology: Medical Office Assistant certificate.
We developed our medical office assistant program in response to specific employer needs. You will learn specialized health care recordkeeping procedures and use the same state-of-the-art computer systems found in today's health care industry.
Past graduates of this program have an outstanding record of job placement and career success at employers like these:
- University of Rochester Medical Center
- Rochester Regional Health System
- Senior living facilities
- Private medical and dental clinics
- Med-Scribe, Inc.
Grow along with the health care industry in a medical office assistant career
The one-year medical office assistant certificate program at MCC will provide you with a strong foundation to perform well in a medical office environment. You will develop word processing and transcription skills and learn to communicate effectively with patients and other health care professionals. In addition, you will take introductory courses in these medical areas:
- Medical terminology
- Drugs and behavior
With strong technical and communication skills, you will be ready to shine in the growing health care industry. Here are just a few of the medical office professions you will qualify for:
- Medical administrative assistant
- Outpatient access specialist
- Dental office administrative assistant
- Medical records specialist
To find out more about the medical office assistant certificate program at Monroe Community College, contact the admissions office at email@example.com or (585) 292-2200.
MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT
Department:Information and Computer Technologies
School(s): Applied Sciences & TechnologiesMCC Program Code: OF06
This one-year certificate program is designed to provide students with a firm foundation for the medical office environment. With the development of strong word processing and communication skills, transcription skills, and medical office protocol, the student is well on the path to a fulfilling career in the medical office support area.
(Housed in the Information and Computer Technologies Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate effective oral communication skills.
2. Write effectively in an office environment in a variety of modes.
3. Exhibit proficiency in using a variety of current healthcare-based office software which may include: desktop publishing applications, medical databases, or other medical-based software applications.
4. Demonstrate competence in the use of medical office computer-based functions (coding, scheduling, billing, financial reporting etc.).
5. Apply fundamentals of basic business mathematics using spreadsheet software.
6. Describe the role of a medical office support staff professional and the contribution of that professional to the success of the whole medical office environment.
|FIRST SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|OFT 111 Intermediate Word+ with grade of C- or higher||3|
|OFT 141 Professional Grammar and Communication||4|
|OFT 170 Spreadsheet Applications Excel||3|
|HIM 104 Medical Terminology||3|
|BIO 133 Human Biology||3|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours|
|OFT 112 Advanced Word I||3|
|OFT 173 Microsoft Multimedia Communications||3|
|OFT 267 Medical Office Documentation||3|
|OFT 268 Medical Office Procedures||3|
|HED 115 Death and Dying OR |
HED 209 Drugs and Behavior