Office Technology: Medical Office Assistant
Medical offices are investing in new technology and technicians – now is the time to specialize
The health care industry needs more highly-trained office staff than ever before. At Monroe Community College, you can develop the skills to enter this dynamic field in just one year with an office technology: medical office assistant certificate.
We developed our medical office assistant program in response to specific employer needs. You'll learn specialized health care record-keeping procedures and use the same state-of-the-art computer systems found in today's health care industry.
Past graduates of this program have an outstanding record of job placement and career success at employers like these:
- University of Rochester Medical Center
- Jewish Senior Life
- Private medical and dental clinics
- Med-Scribe, Inc.
- Rochester Regional Health System
Grow Along with the Health Care Industry in a Medical Office Assistant Career
The one-year medical office assistant certificate program at MCC will provide you with a strong foundation to perform well in a medical office environment. You'll develop skills in word processing and transcription, and learn to communicate effectively with patients as well as other health care professionals. In addition, you'll take introductory courses in these medical areas:
- Medical terminology
- Emergency care
With strong technical and communication skills, you'll be ready to shine in the growing health care industry. Here are just a few of the positions you'll qualify for:
- Medical administrative assistant
- Medical records technician
- Health information technician
- Dental office administrative assistant
- Medical record coder
To find out more about the medical office assistant certificate from Monroe Community College, contact the admissions office at email@example.com or (585) 292-2200.
OFFICE TECHNOLOGY: MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT
Department:Information and Computer Technologies
School(s): Applied Sciences & TechnologiesMCC Program Code: OF06
This one-year certificate program is designed to provide students with a firm foundation for the medical office environment. With the development of strong word processing and communication skills, transcription skills, and medical office protocol, the student is well on the path to a fulfilling career in the medical office support area.
(Housed in the Information and Computer Technologies Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Demonstrate the soft skills needed to be successful as an administrative assistant (office support) which may include: punctuality acceptance of personal responsibility teamwork skills expressing a positive attitude under stress effective customer service skills or other related skills.
2) Demonstrate effective oral communication skills both in person and on the telephone.
3) Write effectively in an office environment in a variety of modes.
4) Exhibit proficiency in using a variety of current healthcare-based office software which may include: desktop publishing applications medical databases or other medical-based computer applications.
5) Demonstrate competence in the use of medical office computer-based functions (coding scheduling billing financial reporting etc.).
6) Apply fundamentals of basic business mathematics to workplace needs.
7) Describe the role of a medical office support staff professional and the contribution of that professional to the success of the whole medical office environment.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 3 Math at MCC). Demonstrated keyboard proficiency or completion of OFT 110. Keyboarding I.
|FIRST SEMESTER: 17 Credit Hours|
|OFT 111 Intermediate Word+||3|
|OFT 141 Professional Grammar and Communications||4|
|HIM 104 Medical Terminology||3|
|MTH 130 Modern Business Mathematics||3|
|BIO 133 Human Biology||3|
|HED 101 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Care||1|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours|
|OFT 112 Advanced Word I||3|
|HED 115 Death and Dying OR |
HED 209 Drugs and Behavior
|OFT 267 Medical Office Documentation||3|
|OFT 268 Medical Office Procedures||3|
|OFT 173 Microsoft Multimedia Communications||3|