Department: Public Safety Training Center
School: Applied Sciences & Technologies
CIP Code: 51.0904
MCC Program Code: EM05
NYSED Code (BRI): 33241
The Paramedic is an allied health professional whose primary focus is to provide advanced emergency medical care for critical and emergent patients who access the emergency medical system. This individual possesses the complex knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient care and transportation. The program is broken down into four quarters intended to prepare competent entry-level Paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains. The courses will cover anatomy/physiology, advanced airway management, and pharmacology/medication administration.
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Perform a comprehensive patient assessment
2) Deliver medications according to protocols
3) Deliver life-saving interventions according to protocols
4) Manage patient care while providing safe transportation to appropriate medical facilities
5) Communicate effectively with a variety of audiences, which could include: patients, families/friends, or other public safety and medical professionals
6) Apply knowledge acquired from the program's general education requirements in a variety of non-clinical roles such as management, education, etc.
For related jobs: Career Coach
Occupational Resource: https://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
High School diploma. EMT certification (1 year minimum). Competitive admission - please contact the EMS Department at 585-753-3712 regarding current admissions criteria.
|Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|FIRST SEMESTER - 21.5 Credit Hours|
|EMS 201 Introduction to Paramedicine||9|
|EMS 251 Paramedic Clinical and Field Experience I||1|
|EMS 202 Medical Care in Paramedicine||8.5|
|EMS 252 Paramedic Clinical and Field Experience II||3|
|SECOND SEMESTER - 22 Credit Hours|
|EMS 203 Advanced Trauma Issues in Paramedicine||8|
|EMS 253 Paramedic Clinical and Field Experience III||4|
|EMS 204 Operational Delivery of Paramedic Care||6|
|EMS 254 Paramedic Clinical and Field Experience IV||4|
|TOTAL CREDITS ||43.5|
* Offered at the Public Safety Training Center.