Air Conditioning Technology: Heating and Ventilation
- AAS - Career Program
- Department of Applied Technologies
The HVAC industry needs more technicians than ever – Develop essential climate control skills now
Technology for climate control and energy efficiency is advancing rapidly—and so are career opportunities in the HVAC industry. In Monroe Community College's air conditioning technology: heating and ventilation associate degree program, you'll get practical training in all aspects of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.
Build in-demand skills to get started in the workforce—or spark professional growth if you already work in the HVAC industry. The career-oriented air conditioning technology program provides quick, affordable preparation for jobs with titles like these:
- Refrigeration mechanic and installer
- Home appliance repairer
- Service technician
- Systems detailer/designer
- Construction and building inspector
- Facilities maintenance technician
You could earn course credit based on prior learning. Find out if you qualify.
Go Green, and Get to Work with the Latest Energy Efficiency Tools
The air conditioning technology associate degree program at MCC emphasizes practical application of HVAC systems, including solar and other green technologies. You'll work side-by-side with experts in the field, in state-of-the-art labs designed by Siemens Energy Management.
Your courses will cover motors, electronics, pumps, ventilation, and refrigeration, along with applied mathematics and science. You'll also develop core skills in plumbing, electrical, and carpentry.
The program has benefits for students who are just entering the workforce, as well as current HVAC pros who seek to increase their skills and potential earning power.
Start your career or get promoted at employers such as:
- John Betlem Heating & Cooling
- ULT Services, LLC
- Berkshire Solar, Wind, Heating and Cooling
- Isaac Heating & Cooling
- Hawn Heating & Cooling
- Siemens Energy Management
- Airquip Heating and Air Conditioning
To find out more about the air conditioning technology: heating and ventilation A.A.S. degree from Monroe Community College, contact the admissions office at email@example.com or (585) 292-2200.
AIR CONDITIONING TECHNOLOGY: HEATING AND VENTILATION
A.A.S. Degree - Career Program
School(s): Applied Sciences & TechnologiesMCC Program Code: HV01
The Air Conditioning Technology Associate Degree prepares students for a career in the HVAC industry in such positions as field service technician, construction field estimator, service representative, systems detailer/designer, and sales representative. Emphasis is placed on the practical application of HVAC systems. This program will also be of benefit to those people who are already employed in the field and desire advancement. Students interested in this program may also be interested in the Solar Thermal Technology Certificate and the Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning program.
(Housed in the Applied Technologies Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Install new HVAC/R equipment to manufacturer OEM standards.
2) Perform testing and adjustment of HVAC/R equipment for proper operation to manufacturer OEM standards.
3) Perform service and maintenance on HVAC/R equipment to manufacturer OEM standards.
4) Diagnose common malfunctions and perform corrective repairs for HVAC/R equipment to manufacturer OEM standards.
5) Interpret electrical control wiring diagrams for HVAC/R control systems.
6) Design and size HVAC/R systems to Manual J standards.
7) Select HVAC/R systems for appropriate applications.
8) Outline strategies to increase energy efficiency and reduce energy consumption of HVAC/R equipment.
9) Demonstrate the use of soft skills to gain employment, and as required within the HVAC/R industry.
10) Work effectively alone or in team environments as required within the HVAC/R industry.
11) Demonstrate effective oral skills for successful employment within the HVAC/R industry.
12) Demonstrate effective written communication skills for successful employment within the HVAC/R industry.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Elementary Algebra with Geometry (or Math 098 at MCC).
|MTH 135 Introduction to Technical Mathematics OR higher*|
|HVA 101 Basic Refrigeration Theory|
|HVA 103 - Heating Systems|
|HVA 105 Electric and Motor Controls|
First Semester Total:
|HVA 102 Air Conditioning Theory|
|HVA 104 Commercial Air Conditioning and Heat Pumps|
|HVA 106 HVAC Workplace Training|
|PHY 100 Preparatory Physics|
Second Semester Total:
| ENG 101 College Composition OR|
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - HEATH AND WELLNESS (MCC-HW) ELECTIVE|
Third Semester Total:
|ECO 103 Personal Money Management|
|SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology|
|SPC 141 Interpersonal Speech Communication OR |
SPC 142 Public Speaking
| OPEN ELECTIVE## OR |
Fourth Semester Total:
# Choose any HVA course numbered 200 or higher (except for HVA 209), OR STT 101,102, 201
## Choose from: CRC 101; ELT 121, 130; MET 101