Peer Navigator Application
As an MCC Peer Navigator, you will join a collaborative team that welcomes and orients new students to the college community.
Using your own experiences and perspectives, you will guide incoming students through group events, campus tours, and FYE social activities, helping them explore academic life, campus involvement, and everything that MCC has to offer.
- Facilitate Orientations during summer and January
- Plan and implement Weeks of Welcome, FYE events and activities for students.
- Conduct tours and workshops for new and current MCC students.
- Assist in the staffing of MCC Trib411 Information Desk
- Engage and mentor new students both in person and via on-line platforms including social media.
- Mentor new students and families to MCC.
- Provide outreach to new students and connect them to college resources.
- other duties as assigned.
- Teamwork and leadership skills- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse groups of people
- Knowledge of college resources
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Public Speaking, 1:1 and group facilitation
- Positive customer service skills and practice assisting others in a professional setting
- Competency in technology and video conference platforms.
- Event Management and Setup
Qualified Candidates will meet the following criteria:
- Must commit to an employment period that formally begins in June 01,2023 and formally ends in May 31, 2024.
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with MCC.
- Must be a full-time undergraduate student for the 2023-24 school year.
- Must have completed at least 1 semester at MCC as a full time matriculated student.
- Must have and maintain a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Must be committed to making a difference in the lives of their peers, new students, and their families.
- Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must display a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and be willing to work the expected and unexpected hours necessary to implement successful New Student Orientations & FYE events.
- Must attend all mandatory training dates, New Student Orientation dates, Fall Open House, and assigned FYE events.
- Peer Navigators should expect to work 20-25 hours per week during the summer, January and 15-20 hours per week during the school year.
- Must be able to attend weekly staff meeting on Mondays at 4:00pm.
- Must role model behavior that is reflective of a campus leader, both in person and through all forms of communication and social media.
- Must provide excellent customer service when working MCC Trib411, New Student Orientation, Weeks of Welcome, FYE events, etc.
- Must be committed to having a new learning experience
- Must create an inclusive and welcoming environment
- Must be able to receive and give feedback in a professional manner.
- Peer Navigators are not allowed to take any in person or remote Summer courses (Asynchronous on-line courses are permitted).
- Peer Navigators are not allowed to work in the following roles: Resident Assistants, Admissions Student Assistants.
Compensation & Benefits
- Monthly Cash Stipend
- Free Residence Hall Single Room for Summer 23, Fall 23, and Spring 24 (student is responsible for submitting Housing Application and paying deposit).
- Larger monthly cash stipend for students not able to live in the Residence Halls.
- Limited Meals provided during Peer Navigator training, New Student Orientation, and FYE events.
- Learn and develop transferable skills useful for future employment
- Opportunity to gain leadership experiences and connect with the MCC community.
- MCC Apparel, Uniforms Provided
How to Apply to be a Peer Navigator
Step 1: Attend a Mandatory Peer Navigator Information Session
These sessions will go over important information about the Peer Navigator position. It will allow you to ask questions to see if this role is the right fit for you.
Peer Navigator Information Session Dates:
- February 17: 12pm to 1pm, Brighton Campus, Prism Multicultural Center
- February 28: 4pm to 5pm, Brighton Campus, Prism Multicultural Center
- March 01: 1pm to 2pm, Downtown Campus, 2nd floor Multipurpose Room
- March 02: 2pm to 3pm, Brighton Campus, Prism Multicultural Center
- March 06: 12pm to 1pm, Downtown Campus, 2nd floor Multipurpose Room
- March 09: 4pm to 5pm, Brighton Campus, Prism Multicultural Center
Sign up for a Peer Navigator Information Session
Step 2: Fill out Application
Please take your time and complete the Peer Navigator Application.
Fall 2023/Spring 2024 Peer Navigator Application
All Applications must be received before 11:59pm on March 10, 2023.
Step 3: Attend Individual Interview
You will be invited to an individual interview with members of the selection committee.
Step 4: Attend Group Interview
All applicants must attend the Group Interview on Thursday, March 30, 2023 from 5pm to 9pm.