This Facilities Master Plan supports the College's directions that are outlined in MCC's 2012-2016 Strategic Plan and the recommendations documented in the Serving Students Best Report.
The strategic plan is organized into four directions. Each one is essential to the mission of the College and has been incorporated into the development of the master plan.
- Direction One: Learning First
- Direction Two: Workforce Education and Career Pathways
- Direction Three: Partnerships
- Direction Four: Effectiveness, Efficiency, and Accountability
The planning team's interpretation of the directions and goals of the College's Strategic Plan, as they apply to this Facilities Master Plan, are embodied in the following five Strategic Objectives. Each of the proposed capital projects in this plan is tied to one or more of these objectives to illustrate how the project relates to the College's Mission.
Strategic Objective 1: Demonstrate purposeful allocation of resources, make strategic investments in technology and facilities, and develop sustainable practices to create a supportive and collaborative 21st Century learning environment.
Strategic Objective 2: Create an environment that supports a collaborative, transparent, seamless, and student-focused set of aligned support services that will help prospective, incoming, and current students succeed with their educational and life goals.
Strategic Objective 3: Support career technical and S.T.E.M. programs that are business and industry-relevant and responsive to local workforce needs by providing flexible and quality facilities.
Strategic Objective 4: Provide space that supports collaboration between the College, the community, local schools, businesses and industry.
Strategic Objective 5: Create appropriate support spaces such as offices, work areas, and storage facilities for academic and non-academic departments.
The capital projects recommended by this plan place learning first through the creation of 21st century learning environments; support student success and persistence through the consolidation of services for students; foster collaboration with regional business and industry through the development of the new Downtown Campus and an addition to the ATC; and ensure institutional effectiveness by maximizing the use of existing College resources through strategic investment in facilities and technology.
- Development of the new downtown campus
- Renovation of Building 6 to accommodate the new Services for Students Center
- Creation of a new Biology Lab and the renovation of other science labs and support space
- Creation of a new Welcome Center and Art Gallery in Building 1
- Construction of a 20,000 GSF Applied S.T.E.M. addition at the ATC
- Renovation of Building 4 (Communications/Theater) to support Visual & Performing Arts programs
- Construction of a new 90,000 GSF Interdisciplinary Learning Commons that will integrate the Library with the Instructional Technologies department
- Renovation of Building 2 (the existing Library) to create classrooms, faculty offices, student study space, and to consolidate Educational Technology Services - to begin in 2018 with completion in 2020
- Renovate vacated space on the first floor of the Student Center (Building 3) to create additional classrooms, create an Interfaith Chapel, expand academic program space and additional support space for Building Services
- Repurposing of existing space to create additional classrooms and to consolidate divisions and departments to improve productivity and operational efficiency
Facilities Master Plan 2013-2018
The College directed the planning team to develop a list of projects that will need to be completed in the years following the 2013-2018 Facilities Master Plan time period. In addition to a list of long-range property preservation projects, the following capital projects were identified:
- Complete the renovation of Building 2
- Renovate first floor of Building 11 to provide classrooms and class labs that will support larger course sections; update existing class labs
- Renovate Building 5
- Renovate Building 8