PLE 104 - Practicum in Policing I
This four-week course is designed to place police recruits into an application laboratory experience where they apply the basic principles, theories, and techniques taught in the training academy. The officer/deputy recruits are under close supervision of an assessment professional - the Field Training Officer. Successful completion of this course leads to certification as a Police Officer by the NYS Bureau for Municipal Police. Also offered in Summer.
Prerequisites: PLE 101, PLE 102, PLE 103.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Present a professional appearance while on the job.
2. Receive and act upon feedback from a colleague or senior officer.
3. Apply ethical principles to varying situations while on the job.
4. Follow departmental policies and procedures.
5. Apply appropriate penal/criminal procedures to various situations.
6. Enforce various vehicle and traffic laws appropriately in various situations.
7. Demonstrate effective driving skills under varying conditions or circumstances.
8. Complete a variety of reports as required.
9. Apply officer safety skills effectively under varying conditions or circumstances.
10. Apply principles of conflict management as required in various situations.
11. Demonstrate effective radio/mobile digital computer communication skills.
12. Demonstrate effective interviewing skills.
13. Conduct all aspects of an effective investigation.
14. Interact with, or relate effectively to, people from diverse cultures or backgrounds in various situations.
15. Develop good working relationships with colleagues, individually or in a team setting.
Course Offered Fall and Spring