Other Complaint Options

Students are encouraged to resolve concerns by contacting the campus office responsible for the area relevant to the complaint. If dissatisfied with the response, the student may contact the relevant area supervisor, director, department chair, or dean for resolution. The Ombudsman's role is to serve as a resource and designated neutral party for those who may have a college-related concern or grievance. The Ombudsman does not impose solutions, but does identify options and strategies for resolution by providing contact with appropriate college resources or serving as a mediator, among other roles.

If a student has exhausted all review rights at Monroe Community College, they may pursue a concern or complaint with the SUNY System. The address for such complaints is as follows:

  • State University of NY (SUNY)
    System Administration
    State University Plaza
    Albany, NY 12246

A final level of complaint review by the New York State Education Department will only be considered if it is demonstrated that reviews at the campus and SUNY system levels have been exhausted.

Additionally, for online students residing outside of New York State, Monroe Community College is a National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) participating institution.  SARA is a voluntary agreement among its member states that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. The purpose of SARA is to make it less challenging for students to take online courses and programs offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. As a SARA participating institution, the College can enroll residents of other SARA participating states in its distance education courses and programs. To learn more about this program, please visit NC-SARA.

If SARA students at Monroe Community College are not satisfied with the outcome of the institution's complaint resolution process, they should contact the New York State Department of Education in accordance with the NC-SARA Complaint Procedures.

For more information about filing such a complaint with NYSED, see:

Filing a Complaint About a College or University

Unresolved complaints may also be filed with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the College’s institutional accreditor, once all other avenues have been exhausted. For more information about filing a complaint with Middle States, including the criteria for complaint, see:

Complaints and Third Party Comments