Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I change programs?

There are specific procedures and requirements for making a program change. A student wishing to request a program change should contact the Academic Advisement Center on the Brighton Campus (Building 1, Room 231), the Student Services Office on the Damon Campus (Room 5252), or go to the Counseling and Advising Web page on the MCC Web site for further information.

2. Whom do I contact to get a course waiver or substitution?

Contact the ICT Department Chairperson, Jeff Dunker at 585-292-3322.

3. What are the differences between the Computer-related degree programs?

  • Computer Science - This degree focuses primarily on programming and is geared toward students who want to become systems programmers. Higher math skills, including pre-calculus are required.  If developing computer code is the student's primary interest, the CS major is usually their best bet. The student in this program earns an A.S. degree while preparing them to transfer to a four-year school to continue their studies in programming.

  • Computer Systems Technology - The focus of the CPT degree is hardware components and applications.  It's the right major for people who like to "get their hands inside the computer."  Students learn to program hardware, work with operating systems, and troubleshoot hardware and software failures.  Students who choose this specialty become network support technicians, PC support personnel, programmers of anything microprocessor-controlled, and just about anything having to do with "hardware."  This degree program is designed for students who wish to enter the workplace immediately after graduation.  The student earns an A.A.S. degree.

  • Information Technology - This is MCC's newest computer degree program.  The IT program specifically prepares students for specialized study in a key area of IT at a four-year college.  IT professionals concentrate on developing new approaches to apply existing technology and software.  High-level math skills, including pre-calculus are required.   The student in this program earns an A.S. degree while preparing them to transfer to a four-year school.

4. Why do some courses have prerequisites?

Completion of prerequisite courses helps to ensure student success. Instructors of courses which have prerequisites assume that their students come to the course with a certain knowledge base, upon which the current course will build. This is necessary in order for students to progress through a series of increasingly higher-level courses and ultimate mastery of the topic being taught.

5. How do I register for a class if it is closed?

When a course reaches maximum enrollment, it is closed to new students. A student may request to be added to the roster as an overload. Students should contact the instructor since permission to overload a course section generally must be approved by the instructor of the particular course section.

6. How do wait lists work?

During pre-registration, when a course section reaches maximum enrollment, students may request to be "wait-listed" for that section. Should an opening occur, students will be enrolled based on the order that they were placed on the wait list. Wait lists are usually eliminated the last day before classes begin. If a student still wishes to enroll in that section, they should contact the instructor for special permission.

7. What is an "Intent to Graduate" form?

Graduation from MCC is not automatic. Once you complete the registration process for your last semester at MCC you should file an Intent to Graduate Application with the Graduation Office. An Intent to Graduate Application is a form that students are required to complete in order to graduate from MCC. Application forms can be obtained on the Graduation Office Web page on the MCC Web site, or in several locations on both the Brighton and Damon campuses:

Brighton Campus:
  • Graduation Services, Room 1-231
  • Career Program students may obtain a form from their Department Chairs.
Damon City Campus
  • Student Services Office, Room 30-5252
  • Department Chairs

8. What types of jobs can one get with an Office Technology Program degree?

Job titles in our area include:

  • Executive Assistant
  • Administrative Assistant
  • Medical Secretary
  • Medical Office Administrator
  • Receptionist
  • Office Assistant
  • Data Entry Specialist
  • Customer Service Representative
  • Human Resources Assistant
  • Clerk Typist
  • Entry-Level Office Assistant