Math Placement FAQs

What is a Math Level

MCC math level placements range from 1 up to 10. If your high school transcript information is more than four years old, your placement will automatically move down one level. Math is a language; if you don’t use it for a long time, you lose it. You are able to register for any course in the Math level in which you have placed OR any course below that. For example, if your placement is level 8, you can take any course from level 1 through 8.

Which Math Course Should I Take

There may be several options for courses for you in each level. You should meet with your advisor to determine which math course you need for your chosen Pathway. You can also see a breakdown of which math you should take for your Pathway

What is a TRS Math Course

TRS stands for “Transitional Studies.” TRS courses are non-credit bearing, although they are covered by financial aid. Learn more in this video about TRS Math courses

In TRS 092 and 094, students are given a short placement assessment at the beginning of the semester to determine whether they can immediately move up from level 2 to 3. You can prepare for that assessment by reviewing the attached practice exam for TRS 094. If you can do these problems without a calculator or any helps such as math websites, you should be able to do well on that assessment and convince your professor that you should move up.

How am I Placed Into a Math Course

We are using high school mathematics course grades, Regents Exam scores, overall GPA, length of time since the last successful math course, and standardized tests such as SAT and ACT. We can also use GED or TASC scores.

Why Don’t I Need a Placement Test

Most students can be placed based on their academic record (high school and college transcripts). We are able to give permission for tests only if there is no other way to place students. These situations include home-schooled students and students with foreign transcripts, for example.

How do I Know What My Placement Is

Your placements have been added to your student record, so you should be able to register now.  You can access your placements by logging in to myMCC using your MCC student e-mail and password.  Under "My Account," click on "Student Self-Service."  In "Student Self-Service," go into the "Student" menu and click on "Student Records."  Then select "View ACCUPLACER Test Scores and Placements," and you will be able to see your placement.

What is a Flexible-Pace Course

This learning modality offers the chance to take challenge tests or pretests which, if completed successfully, allow you to bypass the material in any particular chapter (module). Before attempting any challenge test, you will be provided with opportunities to practice and refresh your skills. In all flex pace classes, both TRS and MTH, students are able to work at their own pace. Students who push themselves are able to finish the course early and often can finish the next math course in the sequence as well. In this way, students may complete two or more math courses in one semester. If this opportunity interests you, look for “flexible pace” as part of the course name on the master schedule. Find additional information on flex pace math classes in this video.

How Can I Finish my Math Sequence More Quickly

In addition to flex pace courses, which allow students to move through their math pathway “sequentially” with one course after another, co-requisite courses offer an alternative approach to acceleration. Instead of taking a pre-requisite course the semester before taking a higher- level math course, some options are available to take the pre-requisite at the same time as the higher-level course. This means you can complete two levels simultaneously, during the same semester, with the same instructor. Look for LC (learning community) designated sections of MTH 150/TRS 050 and MTH 099/MTH 104, and “fast-track” options of MTH 104/MTH 165 and MTH 165/MTH 175.

I haven’t done math in many years. How can I get help while I’m taking a math course

There are several options available to you for free that will help you with your math work.  Please visit our Tutoring and Academic Assistance Center website for details.

Who can I reach out to with questions

For questions about TRS math courses, you may email Professor Matt Fox (, chair of the Transitional Studies Department, or email Professor Eric Berg (

For questions about Math (MTH) courses, email to the Mathematics Department ( where questions are answered by several faculty members, including the Chair of the Mathematics Department, Professor Mark Ernsthausen (, as well as the department’s secretary.

For questions about your placement and/or testing, you may email Sarah Pantaleo (, Associate Director of Testing.