Applying for Benefits

Please know that applying for your VA educational benefits can be a long process from start to finish. It is best to start the paperwork as early as possible to ensure that the processing of your benefits is complete well in advance of the start of each semester. Please use our step by step guide below:

  1. In general, students may apply for benefits under one of the following chapters associated with VA educational benefits:
  2. For specific eligibility requirements associated with any of these chapters, please click on the appropriate links above.

    Students may also be eligible for state veterans awards or tuition assistance:

    • NYS VTA (Veterans Tuition Award)
    • Note: If you are eligible for Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill ® at the 100% rate, or Chapter 31 - Voc Rehab you will not be eligible for state aid awards (TAP/VTA or DoD TA).
    • Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA):
      • Benefits paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes, and restrictions. The money is usually paid directly by the service branch to the college.
      • Each of the military branches have information for their processes.
      • For other questions, please contact your unit.

  3. Apply for your VA educational benefits:
  4. Once the VA processes your claim, you should receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. (If you receive a denial letter and are unsure as to why, please contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.)
    Bring your Certificate of Eligibility and DD-214 to the Veteran Services Office.
  5. Admissions - If you are a new student, transfer student, or re-admitting student, you should apply for admission to the college. You can apply online or print out the application.
    • Request your official high school transcripts and/or GED scores and diploma.
    • Request your official college transcripts if you have attended another college besides MCC.
    • Request your Military transcripts:

    You may contact Admissions online or call 585-292-2200.

  6. Placement testing - If you are asked to take the placement test, you can look up the days and times the test is offered, as well as sample questions Testing Services site.
  7. Program Advisement and Registration - Once you are accepted, you can register with an Academic Advisor or the Department in which your major is held.

  8. Be certified for your benefits!

Visit the Veteran Services Office