OPT 235 - Advanced Optical Manufacturing
A study of current processes, machinery and tools employing CNC technology that are shaping the methodology in manufacturing optical components. The course is designed to be very interactive, providing laboratory experience on the following subjects: CNC grinding and polishing, planetary grinding and polishing, tolerancing and metrology.
Prerequisite: OPT 213 or permission of department.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Classify the ISO 101110 standards currently being used in defining optical components.
2. Propose the manufacturing process of an optical component from raw material to finished component.
3. Recognize the advantage of employing CNC technology in spherical optical component manufacturing.
4. Recognize the advantage of employing CPM equipment.
5. Perform the proper procedure to test optical components during the manufacturing cycle.
Course Offered Spring