COM 101 - Introduction to Mass Media
An introduction to communication theory and practice, the history of mass media, and an examination of the business of the American mass media. Additional topics will include media support industries, such as advertising and public relations.
MCC General Education: MCC-AH - Arts and Humanities (MAH)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Discuss the development of the mass media landscape, which may include advertising or public relations.
2. Evaluate the technological advances of the major mass media industries.
3. Identify prominent people responsible for key developments in mass media.
4. Discuss major influences on mass media, which may include the social, political or regulatory forces.
5. Assess the impact of media power, control or responsibility on our society.
6. Match communication theories with different aspects of mass media.
7. Analyze the role of mass media in the lives of media consumers.
8. Explain the impact of evolving media on the mass media landscape.
Course Offered Fall, Spring