DEN 224 - Dental Hygiene IV
Review of the history of dental hygiene. Course focus will be on ethics, jurisprudence, current issues and trends in dental hygiene.
Prerequisite: Successful completion of all previous semesters DEN courses with a grade of C or better.
MCC General Education: MCC-VE - Values and Ethics (MVE)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Summarize the history of the dental hygiene profession.
2. Compare the American Dental Hygienists' Association (ADHA) dental hygiene code of ethics to the American Dental Association (ADA) dental code of ethics.
3. Describe how ethical theories affect ethical decision making.
4. Describe how personal values affect ethical decision making.
5. Utilize case study to simulate application of the ADHA code of ethics as a guide to decision making in dental hygiene.
6. Describe the concepts of civil law.
7. Describe the concepts of criminal law.
8. State the general characteristics of dental practice acts.
9. Identify the supervision levels of the dental hygienist as defined in the New York State Dental Practice Act.
10. Identify the legal duties of the dental hygienist related to supervision levels defined in the New York State Dental Practice Act.
11. Identify the supervision levels of the dental assistant as defined in the New York State Dental Practice Act.
12. Identify the legal duties of the dental assistant related to supervision levels defined in the New York State Dental Practice Act.
13. Describe how to apply for a dental hygiene license in New York State.
14. Describe risk management as it applies to the dental practice.
Course Offered Spring