PSY 110 - Understanding Psychological Disorder
This course is designed to give basic information about psychological disorder and treatment and help students learn to evaluate approaches to disorder and therapy. We will look at the historical development and also at recent theories of disorder and treatment. The course will use a variety of teaching techniques including lecture, class discussion, and group activities, and will include a variety of assignments and grading techniques including tests, projects, written work, and participation.
Course not open to students who have passed PSY 206, except with permission of the instructor.
MCC General Education: MCC-SSD - Social Science and Diversity (MSSD)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the role of science in psychology and in clinical practice.
2. Describe the systems and processes used to diagnose psychological disorders.
3. Identify the cultural and social factors that impact the diagnosis and treatment of psychological disorders.
4. Describe the leading models of abnormal behavior and apply these models to the understanding of psychological disorders.
5. Identify some of the major categories of psychological disorders and describe their symptoms, possible causes, and potential treatments.
6. Identify and describe the resources available to individuals with psychological disorders.
Course Offered Fall, Spring