BIO 150 - Introduction to Biological Evolution
Introduction to the basic principles and concepts of the theory of evolution. Topics will include natural selection and other forces driving evolution, speciation, evolutionary genetics, hominid evolution, and major lines of evidence supporting the theory of evolution.
MCC General Education: MCC-SCI - Scientific Reasoning (MSCI)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Explain basic Mendelian genetics and the role of genetics in the evolutionary process.
2. Identify key people involved in the development of evolutionary theory, evaluate their impacts on the theory, and discuss the history of the theory of evolution.
3. Outline and summarize major components of the theory of evolution including natural selection, sexual selection, mutation, speciation, coevolution, extinction, and hominid evolution.
4. Critically evaluate the evidence supporting the theory of evolution and criticisms to the theory
5. Read and critically evaluate evolutionary studies
6. Analyze the biological and medical significance of the theory of evolution.
7. Discuss the role of evolution in biodiversity and the changes in biodiversity across time.
Course Offered Spring