Skip to main content

Tuition and Fees

Residency Requirements

In order to qualify for resident tuition rates, you must submit a Certificate of Residence to the Student Accounts Office within 30 days of the start of the semester.

A certificate is required to be on file at Monroe Community College every semester for which you enroll. A Certificate of Residence is valid for one year only!

Why do you need it?
A Certificate of Residence enables Monroe Community College to bill your county for part of your tuition costs. Without a valid Certificate of Residence, you will be considered a non-resident of New York State and will then have to pay double tuition when you register.

Where do you get it?
You obtain a Certificate of Residence from the county of your permanent residence by providing proof of residency. In most cases this is your County Treasurer's Office. Contact your county to see if you can submit your notarized application by mail or if it must be done in person. For a list of locations, visit An application for the certificate can also be found at Monroe County residents see below.

What if I am a permanent Monroe County resident?
Students who have been a permanent resident of Monroe County for at least the previous year need to fill out the Certificate of Residence affidavit and submit it directly to the Student Accounts Office. It does not need to be notarized. The form can be found at

When do you get it?
Certificates are valid only if issued within 60 days prior to the start of classes. Some counties will give you up to 30 days after the start of classes to obtain the certificate as well. Contact your County Treasurer's Office to see what its restrictions are.

Where do I submit the official Certificate of Residence?
Once you have obtained the official Certificate of Residence from your county, drop it off at the Student Accounts Office, Bldg. 6 Rm. 201 (Brighton Campus), You can also mail it to:

Student Accounts
Monroe Community College
1000 East Henrietta Road
Rochester, NY 14623

Monroe Community College must receive the original Certificate of Residence. We cannot accept faxes or copies. We advise that you keep a copy of your certificate for yourself.

Who does not qualify for resident rates?
If you have not been a permanent resident of New York State for at least one year prior to the semester you plan on attending, you must pay non-resident tuition. Non-residents include international students (holding an F-1 visa), temporary residents such as out-of-state residents attending another local college or here on short-term job assignments, and any other person who is in the United States on a visa.

Immigrants must provide proof of their permanent resident status (official documentation from US Citizen and Immigration Service) as well as proof that they have been a New York State resident for at least one year prior to the start of classes.

County Requirements
The following is a listing of some specifications for certain counties. Please note that this is not a complete list. Contact your county to see if they have other restrictions.

Orleans, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties: You must obtain a new Certificate of Residence every fall semester, regardless of when you last submitted one. For example, if you last turned in a Certificate of Residence during the spring semester, you still need to submit a new one for the following fall semester even though it has not been a year.

Wayne County: Your notarized application can be submitted to your Town Hall instead of the Wayne County Treasurer's Office.

NYC Burroughs (Bronx, Kings/Brooklyn, New York/Manhattan, Queens, and Richmond/Staten Island): Even though your notarized application and proof must be brought in person to the Comptroller's Office, it does not necessarily have to be done by you. A friend or family member can bring all documentation in for you. The certificate can be faxed back to MCC.

Saratoga and Cayuga Counties: Your Certificate of Residence must be submitted to MCC no later than 30 days after the semester starts. Even if you obtained it earlier, it must be received by MCC before the 30 day deadline to be valid.